• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Suicide Bullhead

merkman

Went and checked my houses today and found a bullhead froze in about 3 inches of ice in my hole.

Not sure what happened there he musta came up in the hole then couldn't get back out or sumtin.

Just looked like he stopped swimming and froze in place.

Weird!

bullys will swim right under the ice alot of times and I think that when they come to a hole such as a spear hole they swim up in it and find out there really isnt that much O2 so they suck air until they die or freeze in.

bullys will swim right under the ice alot of times and I think that when they come to a hole such as a spear hole they swim up in it and find out there really isnt that much O2 so they suck air until they die or freeze in.

Do you think this lake could be winter killing?

I hope not.

-Merk

I hope not merk. The only way to find that out would be to ask the DNR to see if they have been checking it or any other lakes.

I would think if it were freezeing out there would be more than one bully and or other fish in the hole.

True...Bullies are on the high end of the "tough guy" scale in terms of surviving in low oxygen environments--as are pike and rock bass.

I had the misfortune of spearing a shallow lake avidly and watching it nearly die out during a particularly harsh winter. The most prevalent of the dying fish were the high 02 guys--primarily whitefish.