• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone been out spearing?

MJ1657

Epic day of seeing fish today. Dropped down a big shiney yellow/pink/glow/silver daredevil, 3 fish came running into the hole. Caught a small sunfish and a northern took it... Caught another borderline keeper sunfish while i was on the phone 3 more came in 3lber and 2 6-8's it was crazy, and we wont go into how many misses smile

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Epic day of seeing fish today. Dropped down a big shiney yellow/pink/glow/silver daredevil, 3 fish came running into the hole. Caught a small sunfish and a northern took it... Caught another borderline keeper sunfish while i was on the phone 3 more came in 3lber and 2 6-8's it was crazy, and we wont go into how many misses smile

Sounds like a fun day! Any pictures of the "big shiney yellow/pink/glow/silver daredevil"? I'm curious to know what one with that many colors would look like...

I moved to the other side of the lake in search for more fishes and it didnt work. I only seen 1 and slayed it came in to the fancy spoon again.

50022.jpg

The one I've been using didnt have the eye, but they color scheme is pretty close. The salmon spoons are lighter, thinner and a little longer than regular dare devils, so they flutter more on the sinking and they sink slower.

7 carp today!!!!!! A personal best. Thanks to ya'll for talking so much about them spoons!!

So, I had been having my best luck by creating a puppet show with three dekes, so that they would sort of act like a school of fish. Was using a neon yellow, a white crappie, and a red n white deke. I noticed that the carp were most attracted to the neon yellow. Today I borrowed a friends identical neon yellow deke so I could have two of them down. Than I attached flashy spoons to each deke BNS style. When the action would slow I would swim the two dekes around a little bit, and without fail soon later I would have a carp swimming on by, often they would even slow down near the spoons. Thanks again.

Also saw three pike today, they all got the look-n-release.

Short answer, I ain't saying.

Long answer, I live right next to Lake Minnetonka and don't like to travel far. So, with the increased pressure on surrounding lakes from having a spearing ban on Tonka, I don't want to say anymore than that.

I haven't smoked any yet, but am going to try some. I have a relative that uses them for bait in turtle traps, and now I have all he needs, so it's time to find other uses for them.

Heading out there again in a few minutes. I have found the best times to be out are 10-1. Good Luck if you give it a try. Don't be surprised if you miss your first 10, they don't usually decoy in right to the dekes, so I usually am taking angled shots off to the side of the spear hole at moving fish. With patience, and practice, I am now having about a 75% success rate on my throws. 6-10 FOW suggested.

Nope no weeds, and filthy water this year, last year it was gin clear. It is what I call a "typical" milfoil lake, weeds to the surface, and then no weeds deeper than the weedline. I wish I had the weedline at the edge of my hole, but I cut in the wrong spot, and don't think I'll cut another hole this year. The few pike I am seeing, all come directly from the weeds, not from the depths. I haven't measured, but I think I am in 10 FOW, and can barely make out a white decoy on bottom.

Today it was another 4 carp. No pike seen, did see a nice bass, and a couple micro-sunnies. I might have to break down and get a minnow this week in hopes of seeing more esox.

Good Luck to everyone during these last two weeks!

I got a big one today! 37 inches 13 pounds.

I moved my house today. I found a spot where it is weedy in 8 fow in the front of my hole and drops to 10 fow in the back and eventually drops to 19 fow behind me. I had a good feeling by the number of sunfish hanging around.

They were coming in nice and slow today. Had a couple that I could hardly get out of the hole even jigging my artificial trying to bump them.

The big fish came in right below the ice from underneath me. It's in the freezer waiting to be put on the wall. I'll get some pics up soon.

A friend is going to get some photos put on here for me.

I went out today and had 10 northerns come in. They were all small but it was great for my friends 9 year old girl I had with.

Everyone of them came in nice and slow and hung around with three of them grabbing my sucker.

The only way I had any success of bringing them in the last two days was to use my live decoy only.

Things like that is what causes me to be so interested in pike spearing.

Well fellaz, went out today got into some real nice sunfish action from 10-1030 then the northerns came in and scared them all away. Waxworms brought in the fish again, i tried the spoon and a couple decoys but the worms are where it has been for me. I seen a monster skirt the hole today to grab a sunfish looking at my bait it was pretty exciting.

A friend is going to get some photos put on here for me.

I went out today and had 10 northerns come in. They were all small but it was great for my friends 9 year old girl I had with.

Everyone of them came in nice and slow and hung around with three of them grabbing my sucker.

The only way I had any success of bringing them in the last two days was to use my live decoy only.

Things like that is what causes me to be so interested in pike spearing.

do they have teeth?