• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone been out spearing?

MJ1657

I sat down today and in less then 5 minutes I had an eater. I decided to move my house to the other end of the lake into deeper water.

I got set up at 4:30 in 19 fow so I figured I might as well spear until dark. A big pike came through right on the bottom. It came through two more times once about 3 feet up and then about 6 feet up. It sure got my heart pounding hoping it would move up another 3 feet.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome Merkman!!! I was wondering is Northern a continuous season on Rainy? If so can a guy spear it in March or even April? Just wondering..I have some friends from college who are from the Falls & got jobs up there... so planning a trip to visit them & was wondering if spearing is open later than the inland waters? If not then I'm just bringing the panfish poles.

Awesome Merkman!!! I was wondering is Northern a continuous season on Rainy? If so can a guy spear it in March or even April? Just wondering..I have some friends from college who are from the Falls & got jobs up there... so planning a trip to visit them & was wondering if spearing is open later than the inland waters? If not then I'm just bringing the panfish poles.

Yes pike is continuous on Rainy for angling but spearing still ends the same time as the rest of the state. I was wondering that too last year but instead of spearing we threw out some tipups instead and caught some really nice fish.

Ok thanks buckhunter I just wasn't sure I looked it up in the rule book but really didn't clarify that. I thought I had stumbled onto a loophole in the rule and a guy could spear later into March on Rainy. Looks like I'll just bring the walleye & crappie gear.

I wish they would make an exception for border lakes. If you can still legally catch them through the ice all year then why cant you spear for them too. O well I guess I wont complain if I have to catch a 20 pound northern instead of spearing one!

Fish were moving today. I know it sounds like a fish story but they were all big. Lost one minnow and another one was beat up pretty good. The only fish that came into range were moving to fast to spear.

I have been using the bns set up but been getting a small sucker and hanging it underneath a Bear Creek. I have my large sucker down at the same time. By using a small sucker I have not had to much trouble with them tangling up.

Anyone else see the fish really moving today?

Speared from 11-4. Got 4 carp, missed more than that, and saw lots more. Decided before I began today that I would be looking and releasing all pike except a trophy. So, I didn't throw at a pike today. Saw, I think, 5 distinct pike. The largest about 30". One had a hook and release injury that I saw a half dozen times. Suffered 3 decoy attacks, they should survive, though wink . I didn't use a live minnow today, and would imagine if I had one down today it would have been hit often. Way better than last weekend when peering through the same hole for about 8 total hours all I saw was a couple of Bass.

I am curious if most of you guys have moved out to deeper water? I moved out to 19 fow, sometimes I can see the bottom other times I can't. I'm having some real nice fish come in but they are usually to deep.

I would rather sit in some shallower water but i'm concerned that most of the fish are deep. I have never speared this late in the season.

Speared in 3 fow yesterday, one 4 lber, fished in 12 fow today, one 10 lber. fishing with one foot of water under the ice really brings em up close and personal!! going back tomorrow to 3 feet. when you only have a foot of water under the ice, they appear very fast. fun for sure!