• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Freezing minnows for Canada

shinde

I just buy them without water or oxygen and freeze them when I get them to my house. It helps if you only put 10 per bag. Other then that I dont do anything else. Good luck.

I would opt to not freeze, but cure them with salt instead. If time is a factor here, then perhaps trying out Berkly's new plastic minnow might be the trick, or order the salted bait.

On a recent trip to Canada we were not allowed to cross the border with any live bait regardless of its condition. My buddy had to go back to I-Falls and dump his salted smelt. Just a thought.

Good Luck Jbug

------------------

I cure minnows with a mixture of powdered alum and salt. The alum and salt are both a perservative. When using the salt alum mix the minners do not get mushy,and keep for a long time.The fish don't mind the flavor either.

Jitterbug, you may take crawlers in bedding into Ontario. As for the smelt, they are are specifically prohibited in any condition. Check the reg's.

Does it matter what type of bedding you use to bring crawlers into Onterio? Is dirt not allowed? Can I use the bedding that comes with crawlers when you buy it? Or, does it have to be a sterile medium (i.e. shredded paper) like bringing crawlers into Manitoba?
Scoot