• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Floater

shamalex72

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just afraid of a pike snatching one up and taking off with it.

Of course BNS will say don't use them they are out of control. smile

I really do like the idea of a string of 10 inch sucker shaped decoys painted white so it looks like there are dead suckers laying on the bottom.

That would have to bring them in as long as you are shallow enough to see the bottom.

I really hate to ask this, but .... what is a "floater"?

Not what it sounds like smile

A floater is a non weighted decoy that has a line attached to it with a weight so you drop it down the hole and it floats up off the bottom with no strings from the top.

Then you scoop them out when you are done spearing for the day.

here I go again thinking (hurts when I do that) but if there were a certain redneck factor to it and you could put some kind of propeller on it so it would circle. now that would be cool.

Merk is the HB spinner water proof grin

as for the pike steeling the decoy I've been spearing a long time and have never lost a decoy to a pike by it cutting or breaking the line its on and I do not use a steel leader

here I go again thinking (hurts when I do that) but if there were a certain redneck factor to it and you could put some kind of propeller on it so it would circle. now that would be cool.

Merk is the HB spinner water proof grin

as for the pike steeling the decoy I've been spearing a long time and have never lost a decoy to a pike by it cutting or breaking the line its on and I do not use a steel leader

Here you go elwood, you could attach this somehow.

duckprop.jpg

These floaters are not really attached to anything.

There is a weight (like 2 or 3 steel washers) tied to a string that is attached to a wood decoy with no lead in it so it floats a certain distance off the bottom.

In my opinion if the pike grabs one of these floaters he is gonna take it out of the hole and it will sit a foot or so out of reach.

I suppose they are not jigged so maybe the pike wouldn't be as agressive with them?

That is cool. I seem to have my best luck using a live sucker and a small northern decoy I have. I usually just leave the northern decoy alone and don't jig it much. The floater would be nice so I didn't have to un-tangle them so much.

I've often wondered if the northern decoy is useful to give them some confidence??? Kind of like putting a few goose decoys with your duck decoys. Just a thought.

Heres a pic, its not done yet, but getting close.

P1060923.jpg

Wow that is the floater?

That is allot bigger than I have seen them.

Just make sure... If you throw the spear... don't miss the fish, and hit your floater!!

That is an awesome looking decoy right there!!

I use a floater all the time, I like to put my floater down first wait about 10-15 min and then put my live sucker over top if I don't see anything. I have speared some nice fish before I even get the live decoy down. Pretty much every time the northerns come into it really slow, so you have alot of time to get ready. The northerns never hit it, a few nip at it on the head.