• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to throw a spear

Kyle

I need a step by step here. I went for the first time last weekend. Missed three fish, cannot figure out why. The last fish came in perfect, had the spear right over its head, got it down in the water at far as I felt was possible and then gave it a throw. Im thinking I threw too hard, but I have no real clue. Any help would be great! I plan to go again on sunday.

You could be throwing to hard and thus causing your spear not to stay on course and deflect and not stay true.. You do not need to throw the spear hardly at all unless doing an angle shot that requires more thrust.. Can you see where your spear is going when you miss the fish?

If Im spearing with the decoy less than three foot down I ussally dont let go of the spear if its farther down I will throw it but not to hard, it take time and patience and lot fo practice. you'll get it just keep trying, If you throw to hard and when letting go you might be pushing the spear off in one direction to much and that will cause a miss as well

After spearing over 10fish w/o a miss I missed 2x this last weekend, it happens, trying to figure out my new spear tho, just takes patience and practice, go out one day n throw a dead sucker down the hole n just keep throwing til u get the feel of how hard to throw it

Before you throw make sure the entire head of the spear is underwater. only the shaft should be at the top of the water. This will minimize the splash.

At first only take "straight down" shots.

Let the pike come all the way into the hole.

If it don't decoy up then let it go.

There will be another one that will decoy up.

Next, try throwing when you are standing up, it will minimize the refraction.

Like others have said if you have a weighted spear it is more of a drop than a throw.

But the biggest thing is practice practice practice and don't give up.

really, i have speared alot in 12 fow when the lakes are really clear, and have no problem with it.

The key is to put the spear in the water a ways, sometimes where your hand is almost in the water, but make sure when you throw it, that your hand dont make a spash becuase the fish will see this, and be gone!