• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Setting up Linksys Network w/o hardwire

You would think this would be a slam dunk, but there's a catch. We've had our Linksys network set up for 1.5 years, but the catch was to get the best range around the house, we set it up in the basement without a hardwire to a PC. If I'm reading the instructions correctly (as well as going through their tutorials), the only way to password protect it is to hardwire it. That's not really an option for us. Recently web browsing has slowed way down, and we've had new neighbors move in. I suspect some of our bandwidth has been sucked up by the new neighbors, but you'll have that with an unsecured network.

Any tips? We are running a laptop and PC, wirelessly, on this network. How can we password protect our network?

You should be able to do everything wirelessly.

They don't recommend it, but all you have to do is get the IP address of the router and plug that into your browser.

From there you should be able to configure it.

At least I think so laugh

....or just get a network cable and plug into it temporarily to set it up

Default user names:

* Linksys BEFW11S4, WRT54G: admin

* Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Ethernet routers: Administrator

* Linksys Comcast routers: comcast

* All other Linksys routers: [none]

Default passwords:

* Linksys BEFW11S4: [none]

* Linksys Comcast routers: 1234

* All other Linksys routers: admin

Where the word [none] is listed above, no name or password is required. Simply skip or press the Enter/Return key when prompted for those settings.

I try to change settings from the IP address you guys listed and then I get locked out. frown I don't know if its a adapter or router problem or what it is. I can't get customer service from Linksys because the router is 1.5 years old, after 1 year they won't help you and will try and sell you something. Until I come up with something else to try, I'm going to have to live with an unsecured (and often slow) network.

If you can’t find or remember the password, it’s best if you just reset everything. All you need to do is press the reset button. Hold it for 90 seconds or so. Let the button go. This should allow you to reconfigure the system. If the system does not reset, press the button again. Hold it down for a couple of minutes and release.

Log back in to 192.168.1.1 For the username and password, just enter “admin” for both fields. In some cases only the password field needs an entry. Just enter “admin”. That should get you back in to the main setup page with tabs.

This is a good time to point out that you really need to document thing like passwords for routers, firewalls etc.

I agree if you can't remember the password for the system, time to reset the router to the default settings. Also take the time to set you wireless security. WPA2 and AES would be the best bet.

If the router was left alone, the username should be blank and the password 'admin'. If that isn't working, and you don't recall ever setting a password, it is very possible your neighbors locked you out.

Sounds silly, but some people enjoy wreaking havoc on other's equipment frown.

I'd also check the top & bottom of the router for a password, if someone else did the original install they usually write the details on a tag and stick it to the bottom.

If all else fails, I think it is time to give the router a complete reset. You will need to reconnect your computers to it once it comes back, but it should pop up with the name 'linksys' and have no encryption so re-establishing a wireless connection should be easy.

Hardwiring is recommended, but not entirely necessary and will make no difference if you have no password.

Is your linksys router plugged into a modem, or is the router also acting as a modem?

I thought I remember when I set up my roomates Linksey's thingamabob, that you could see who all was using the network. Then from there you could lock out users who you didnt want to use your connection. More than likley I'm wrong but thought I remembered something like that.

I thought I remember when I set up my roomates Linksey's thingamabob, that you could see who all was using the network. Then from there you could lock out users who you didnt want to use your connection. More than likley I'm wrong but thought I remembered something like that.

This is true - Once you get into the router, you can get a list of connected devices by their mac addresses (both wireless and hard wired). From there, you could lock it down as tight as you wanted and only allow your devices to connect.

The reason to use a cable is if you don't set everything correct via the wireless connection you could be effectively locked out the router until you reset it back to factory defaults with the switch. An example would be that you turn on security that your wireless adapter doesn't support or you turn on MAC address filtering without adding your correct MAC address.

Open an Internet Explorer window

In the address bar type 192.168.1.1

You will be asked for network name and password

Type linksys for network name

Type admin for password

If this does not work there is a reset in the back of your router. Use a pin and depress this button for 10 seconds then re try

Click on the administration tab

Type in a password then reconfirm the password

This will be your password to get into the router

Click on the wireless tab Do the following

Wireless Network Mode “B-Only”

Wireless Network Name (SSID) “JOES” (whatever you want)

Wireless Channel 11-2.462Ghz

Wireless SSID Broadcast “Enable

Now click on the lower drop down menu called Wireless Security (not the white and black Security one.

Security Mode “WPA Personal

WPA Algorithms “TKIP”

WPA Shared Key “WHATEVER” (This is the new wireless password)

Group Key Renewal 3600 seconds

Click Save Settings

Now you can go to your network connections and find your network “JOES” and type in the new password “WHATEVER” and you should have access. If at anytime this does not work you can reset as mentioned earlier. It is best to do all this with a cat5 or cat6 cable hardwired to the router from a PC. Home Depot sells these like 75 ft long for $15 bucks. Lots cheaper then best buy. If you have questions or problems post back

If you give someone a bunch of variables it makes it harder to figure out what went wrong. If he starts with what I posted he should be able to at least get his neighbors off of his network and when he is comfortable with the network he can tweak it to his liking or take advise from others as to how to make it better.

It could be something other than the wireless or someone mooching off his connection that is slowing things down too. Devices on his home network or congestion on his ISPs network. That will show up at certain times more than others.