• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When is it to cold

Esox_Magnum

Put on 190 miles on Friday, by the time we got back to the cabin it was 16 below. Wasnt that bad when moving, but stopping to check the map was not fun! That was probably cold enough for me at night, although the sun helps some during the day but you could feel it fast when it went down. Ive riden when colder, but it does take some of the fun out of it.

Back in high school we used to ride regardless of the weather. 30-40 below isn't a problem if you have a decent windshield on your sled and good clothing.

Polaris sleds (at least the ones made in the 80's and 90's) run awesome in super cold weather. Ski-doo's from that era (600 and larger) would blow up consistently if ridden hard in cold weather.

About a week and a half ago it was -26 and I went for a ride. I would have to say, other than my eye lashes freezing together once in a while, it was the most comfortable ride I have ever been on. I was dressed just right and didnt get too cold or warm. Sled ran great too (98 indy 500)

If I kept it under 49mph my eyes stayed thawed cool

In some ways sledding is like cross-country skiing. Obviously the wind-chill factor is more significant when you're going 40 mph, but snowmobiling is physical work, and when I've been sledding in the extreme temps I described earlier, when we stopped to take a breather we were sweating. If you have the right gear (and heated handles don't hurt), your body produces a lot of heat while sledding.

If your sled breaks down, well, that's TOTALLY another matter, and a potentially serious one if you are in a low traffic or remote area.