• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My '09 archery season done!

Scoot

My 2009 deer season

The preseason scouting started in September. As I went into the public hunting area I was shocked! When I got to the trail marker to one stand, there was no trail any more! We had a storm with high winds and the existing trail was nothing but blow downs!! They were every where! So a lot of preseason was spent cutting new trails, and revamping many of the ground stand areas.

My first night out in a ground stand, i had a doe coming in on my 20 yd. trail. As she stepped into the shooting lane I came to full draw, but couldn’t see my sights very well! Oops! I didn’t notice that my head net was covering my right eye! Hmmm! So while at full draw I’m trying to move it over with my finger, so I could shoot. (This doesn’t work very well!) She walks on!

We seemed to have a North East wind a lot this year. I have nothing good for that wind direction. Just didn’t have the right locations for it. A few nights later in a ladder stand I have a button buck come in. I’m more of a meat hunter with two antlerless tags in my pocket, but let him walk because my daughter would be in here the next weekend with her 50 cal., and she also had a antlerless tag and only the weekend to hunt. (she got him Sat. night)

That weekend I had several deer around me, but nothing close enough for a shot. I usually had plenty of things to keep me entertained while hunting, whether it was squirrels, turkeys, or tons of different birds!

Finally I was going to get my chance! Had a doe and yearling come on my left side. They were down wind of me, but my scent was well over their heads. Just then we got a quick shower of rain. Just enough to carry some of my scent to her for a second! She locked up, but couldn’t tell where I was. After the head bobbing, and jerking routine, she started to move into another lane, but I had to turn slightly in the stand. Great! There was some sand on my boots from crossing the creek, and it was now coming off and falling to the ground. This really freaked her out, and they were gone!

The next stand was a ground stand on the edge of a bean field sitting in a old R.R. ditch. A button buck comes from behind me to the edge of the field. If he turns left he is mine. Right and he is safe. He goes right! Later I have a big doe come from down wind, but angles out into the beans. It is getting frustrating, three weeks into the season have no shots.

Then I got sick with bronchitis! This kept me out of the woods for almost three weeks, so I missed the best part of our season! Grrr!

Finally back on stand. Have a doe come in. She is 12 yds., slightly quartering towards me. I aim just behind her front leg. Release and see the arrow go in just in front of the leg. She goes 10 yds., and tips over. Awesome! I have to leave to get home in time to change and go to a meeting, planning on coming back afterwards to bring her out. As I was crossing the creek and trying to get up a very slippery bank, suddenly my feet are in the air, and I’m laying in the mud and water. (I did keep my bow dry though! grin) Walk back to the truck wet and covered in mud. Not wanting to mess the truck up I strip and drive home in my socks and under wear. As I walked in the door, my fiance’ meets me! She has tears rolling down her face at the sight of me! I told her not to ask, and walked in to clean up,change clothes and go the meeting. Afterwards Alex (my son) and I go out and bring her in. I processed her the next day. A more stands with no sightings, then while on a morning ground stand I have a button buck walk in. I make a clean shot, then go back home to get the deer cart. Carol (my fiance’) comes with me. This was the first time she had ever been in on recovering a deer. It was a beautiful fall morning. We had a great time talking and just taking in nature as we pulled the deer back to the truck. He was process the next day. Later on another ground stand i have three deer moving towards me. They are about ten yds. but facing me. Finally they walk in front so i have a shot. Trouble was there were four of them! I hadn't seen the four one as it was over to the side. It snorts and every one is gone.

I continued to hunt till it got to cold for me, with no more action.

I had a great season even though I didn’t see as many deer as other years, and never saw anything with antlers the entire time on stand!(Course being sick the week before and the two weeks during the rut didn’t help!)

I’m looking forward to next season as I think I finally have some private ground to hunt on! In my area private ground is hard to come with all the bow hunters, unless you are willing to lease. Del

Awesome story! I'll probably read it 5 more times before next season.

BTW, Harvey, you wouldn't want some more company on that ranch of yours, would ya? laugh

I have about all the hunters we need at this time.

I don't care to have too many or others seem to mess up each others hunt.

I still get pumped looking at your archery kill Scoot.

I cannot believe I never saw this buck or my son as hard as we hunted that area.

Just goes to show those bigger boys seem hard to find at times.

Maybe a larger one next season will be in the cards.

They are there.

Thanks again for the compliments, fellas- I really appreciate it! Tom, I still get a smile on my face when I think about it too! I know you're right about bigger bucks being out there and I'm happy to report that I'll do my best to find one of them next year!!!

delmuts, thanks for sharing your story!

Thanks again for the compliments, fellas- I really appreciate it! Tom, I still get a smile on my face when I think about it too! I know you're right about bigger bucks being out there and I'm happy to report that I'll do my best to find one of them next year!!!

delmuts, thanks for sharing your story!

YOu know you are always welcome Scoot.