• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

spearing from a clam?

rattlem'up

has anyone been spearing in a clam fish house before(flip over style)? Just wondering if it would be dark enough. I'm thinking about purchasing the new clam yukon tc for fishing, but am also curious about possibly spearing out of it also. It would make for a nice quick setup from a portable house perspective.

I tried it a couple of years ago out of a voyager. You could see down hole kinda okay but it still wasn't as dark as you would think. Was easy as I tied the spear and hung the decoy from the roof supports. Also with no floor kinda got slippery around the hole with water so had to be very careful. I had to do this before I bought my current spear house. Hope this helps.

i always use to spear from my clam 1060. it seems that it gets brighter every year inside, but i have taken plenty of pike from it.

i have heard of a couple guys on here using heavy blankets over the top/outside to darken it up.

either way - my clam is what i was using when i got hooked.

thanks for the info. I already have a mankato that i currently use for spearing that works great. Just wanted an opinion to see if the clams are dark enough to spear. That way i could leave my current house out just for spearing. Then i could use the clam for fishing or trying out other lakes for spearing.

I use a Canvascraft skin on my Otter, works great - very dark.

For the floor, I got a bunch of 2x2 pads from a local ice rink when they redid their floor, they are like rubberized cork. Work very well, don't absorb water, don't slip and don't freeze down.

100_0191.jpg