• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Upkeep on an old snowmobile.

Mike Stark

this is my first winter with a snowmobile and i dont know sh*t about em'. i have a 1980 yamaha exciter. she runs well for being older than me. starts up on the 3rd-4th pull. once i stop after riding for a little while she dies but then starts right back up after 2 pulls while giving her gas.

i dont know anything about upkeep on a snowmachine. so any advice, suggestions, or tips would be greatly appreciated.

this is a fishing sled...not a trail sled.

thanks for the help.

mike

this is my first winter with a snowmobile and i dont know sh*t about em'. i have a 1980 yamaha exciter. she runs well for being older than me. starts up on the 3rd-4th pull. once i stop after riding for a little while she dies but then starts right back up after 2 pulls while giving her gas.

i dont know anything about upkeep on a snowmachine. so any advice, suggestions, or tips would be greatly appreciated.

this is a fishing sled...not a trail sled.

thanks for the help.

mike

Try doing a search on the web for your model, maybe you can find a maint, book or ideas. But some of the easy things you can do is.

1) Change old plug.

2) Change old gas and oil filter if it has them.

3) Change chain case lube or at least check to make sure you have enough.

4) Check chain tightness.

5) Grease every fitting you can find on suspension and stearing.

6)Check track tension and that all the wheel bearings are good, and that the Hyfax is not worn to bad and that all the bolts are tight.

7) Check belt and pull rope for wear.

8) Check wear bars on skis.

9) Clean carbs if you can.

You don't need to be an expert to look for things that are worn!

This is a good start. Good luck and have fun! smile

Yeah, when I got my 88 indy I just cleaned the carbs and put in new plugs, and it is running like a champ on my second year. Cleaning carbs is so easy a Caveman could do it smile Seriously, not hard and it will make huge difference.

Good luck and have fun! The guys here can walk you through anything, they have helped me tons.

Sounds like a carb issue. My first year with one again to in 25 years. I'll have the carbs gone through each year before season. Mine was gotten as a shack puller but to much fun so trail riding to.

Boy Esox isnt that the truth. Just got my first sled in over 30 years (96 mxz 440) and I had a ball yesterday with her in the ditches. Almost to the point of not wanting to go fishing LOL.

I would also suggest a new kit in the fuel pump, and check the impulse line for cracks or damage. With an older machine with unknown maintenance, best to start at the beginning and be 100% sure it is good to go. Also to do the overnight carb soak and compressed air blowout.

It's the machine he bought from me. A 440. All I ever did was a carb cleaning once in four years, as well as of course summerizing the sled and replacing the plugs each year.

It always started on the second pull until last year, when it needed four/five pulls. Had I not sold it to Mike, I'd have done another carb cleaning this summer, with a close look at the fuel system and perhaps a carb kit as well.

Definitely NOT a trail sled with that weaker old suspension, but a sweet little light sled for pulling ice fishing gear, and light enough so a guy can pick it up and move it around pretty easy. And I don't think I ever got it bogged in slush, light as it is. That 440 offers a LOT of scoot on a sled that size/weight. I've only ever run Amsoil injector in it.

1. Clean and adjust carb.

2. change out plugs (maybe go 1 step hotter)

3. The final may need a machanic, check seals, it maybe loosing pressure to push fuel thru system. (old sleds, fuel goes from carb into crankcase, then pushed up into cylinders chamber. Thats were a pressure lose could be.

Saw that when I worked on snowmobiles many years back.