• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hillbilly

northspear

any good ideas on how to get the block of ice out of the hole with out buying tongs? i have a ice saw, chisle, hand auger just need and idea to get the ice out.

If you have a perm or have a house that will be sitting on top of the open hole for a while it is OK to push the block under. Some say it will spook fish some say it will attract fish, others say it don't mater. Most say in a week it will be melted anyway. As long as you don’t move your house from the open hole until it is well frozen over again I personaly see no problem with it. (still mark the hole after you move off a well frozen over hole)

IMO If you are planning to move around it is safer for everyone to pull the block out and put it back when you are done.

It sounds like you are pretty well set as far as equipment goes. Spring for a set of ice tongs to finish out your needed equipment.

You can find them at on-line auction sites for $20~$25 with shipping. Ask around to some of the older farmers. They very well may have one or two sets lying around. You could check Antique stores too.

Find a set were the arms are not too sloppy. If you have a set where the arms are sloppy you can heat the rivet up and pound it down to tighten things up.

Make sure the points come together or separate enough to accommodate the ice thickness you are trying to grab. I have 2 sets, one for early ice and one for the rest of the season.

Moving heavy ice blocks on potential wet icy surfaces has very real dangers. You could slip and fall in the hole or on your back and end up with a big ole knot on the back of your head.

Be safe and do it right.

Get a set of tongs.

Just my 2 sense.

you can push the block under the ice (not recomended) or you can use the chisel to pry the block up and then grab it and pull it out..not possible after a foot or so of ice or you can block it into smaller peices

Why isn't it good to push the block under the ice? Does this scare the fish from coming in? It sure would be nice not running into the blocks left on the ice at night with the sled!

Why isn't it good to push the block under the ice? Does this scare the fish from coming in? It sure would be nice not running into the blocks left on the ice at night with the sled!

IMO

My preferred method is to take the block of ice out of the hole.

Spear for the day.

Put the block of ice back in the hole.

Mark the hole with branches or twigs.

The reason that I feel this is the safest is that I stop spearing and leave at dark.

I don't feel right leaving a 2' X 3' hole of open water for someone (or some animal) to fall into. Many times the block of ice will wedge in the hole giving someone more time to react if they did step on it.

Never leave large blocks of ice out on the ice.

Always mark your holes and try to fill them in with as much ice and slush as you can.

And for non spearers.

Never drive though the forest in the middle of the lake.

Also if you see a darkhouse spearer leave his hole unmarked make sure to politely ask him to mark it with branches or twigs.

If they refuse call TIP then find some branches and mark it yourself

I agree with Merk that it is better to pull blocks out and then push them in at the end of the day (for portables, of course), but if you put out a permanent house it is easier and safer to push the block under the ice vs. messing around by an open hole trying to pull it out--just mark the hole well with a branch when you do move (however, often when you do end up moving, you haven't been in the house in a while and it is frozen over anyway). As far as scaring fish by pushing blocks under, that is, for lack of a better term, asinine...the ice doesn't form even under the surface anyhow so they wouldn't see a difference, and if fish always looked up, spearing wouldn't be very productive, would it? smile On a year with clear ice and no snow at first, shove a block under the ice, give it a good push, and see just how far it glides...it is nowhere near your hole when it stops, that's for sure...

Originally Posted By: leech~~

IMO

My preferred method is to take the block of ice out of the hole.

Spear for the day.

Put the block of ice back in the hole.

Mark the hole with branches or twigs.

The reason that I feel this is the safest is that I stop spearing and leave at dark.

I don't feel right leaving a 2' X 3' hole of open water for someone (or some animal) to fall into. Many times the block of ice will wedge in the hole giving someone more time to react if they did step on it.

Never leave large blocks of ice out on the ice.

Always mark your holes and try to fill them in with as much ice and slush as you can.

And for non spearers.

Never drive though the forest in the middle of the lake.

Also if you see a darkhouse spearer leave his hole unmarked make sure to politely ask him to mark it with branches or twigs.

If they refuse call TIP then find some branches and mark it yourself

Very well said!!!!