• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pulling pike back in the hole

merkman

I had a pike (about 25 inches) come cruzin in today (not fast not slow) sucked up the live decoy without stopping and went straight out the hole.

When I gently pulled him back in he kept rising in the water until he hit the bottom of the ice.

We fought for a bit then he spit the decoy.

Has anyone elese had any experience in pulling the pike back in the hole?

What works what don't?

I have also pulled pike back in the hole. as far as what works and what doesn't, I am not sure I usually try to pull them back slowly and gently. Some times it works some times it doesn't. Another thing that I have seen and done, it to have a pike follow a live or a fake decoy up in the ice, and then grab it with your hands. I am sure that pikestabber can atest to this also, it was his older brother that showed me this.

good topic!

The key when you are pulling it back, is key is to make sure you dont pull UP! If the fish is moving away from you, most of the time what happens is the fisherman pulls the line up, and what happens is the fish will go straight to the bottom of the ice.

When you pull the line flat towards the floor of your house, the fish wont go straight up. It will come up a bit, but will go more towards the middle of your hole so you can get a clear look to spear it!

what actually has worked a few times for me is just pull it back slowly - usually they spit the deke. with that happening - regroup as fast as possible and hold the decoy line to where you would have it if it didn't pull out the line. i have got the predators to come back and attach again. Worked well on my largest (42.5 in).

The few times it has worked they will approach the second time a lot more reserved and cautious.