• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winter - Outside Dog Tips?

Yellow Dog

My 7 month old lab has been an outdoor-kenneled dog all fall. He has a smallish doghouse that is built into the inside of the garden shed.

1. Should it be insulated? I could put some 2" foam around the house from the inside of the shed.

He has a heavy blanket/mat in it now.

2. Would a plug-in heated mat work okay in the house?

3. Heated bowls - the way to go? Plastic or stainless?

Thanks for any ideas!

Put in the foam and then cover it with some plywood so the dog can't chew it up. I put hay down. The dog house I have has two rooms and the inside room door is offset from the front. I have a piece of plywood that I can remove for the summer. It sits low enough so the dog any get in and lay down. I put foam on top of it to keep the heat in. I have had a lab and a brit use this type of house without any other heat source. I used to have a rubber bucket with one of those add on heaters that I'd put out. They use a lot of juice so I cobbled together a wooden box with some foam in it to try and keep this going a little more cheaply. I found that unless the water was changed almost daily the dog wouldn't drink it. Now I don't put any out but I'm retired and so the dogs can get water in the house most of the day.

My lab is an outdoor dog. I read somewhere to not use pillows or blankets because of an issue with moisture, and it actually makes the dog colder. Instead use hay. I usually get 2-3 big bales, and add half a bale each month to keep it fresh. I forget the type, but make sure its the "hollow" variety.

When I was changing out the hay the other day, I noticed it stays pretty warm. I do have a spot for her in the insulated garage for those super cold days.

I would not trust anything electrical in her kennel with her, she tears everything up and last thing i need is sparks. As for heated bowls, shes pretty good about eating or drinking right away.

If you don't trust the electric water heaters (I don't) I suggest when you feed the dog, add water to the food. I use a cup and a half of dry feed and then fill the rest of the dish with warm water approximately four cups. Some of my huskies used to tip the dish to avoid drinking the water. Got to watch them while they do this and when you catch them let them know that's not allowed. I find my dogs are better hydrated in the winter than in the summer when they have access to water 24/7. Twice a day feedings keep them hydrated and warmer. Straw is what I use in their houses.

Marsh hay is actually the best for dog houses. I use a tall stainless steel water bowl which has plastic on the outside. The big C store in Rogers sells them. With this bowl it has 2 S hooks on each side that clamp to the kennel wire. Then the electrical cord is run right out the side and I have a plug in from there. I had a GWP that was very destructive, she would chew those little blue elec. ones but this one she couldn't figure out. The trick is to be smarter than your dog.

There are a lot of ggod ideas here if you take them all your pooch will be happy. Build the house small, insulate it, get it off the ground, put in swamp grass( it doesnt turn to dust as fast as straw) and if you really want to go for it put in the hound heater. I put the heater in for my 10 year old lab this year and it seems to work great, tho I have some questions as to what temp to set it at. Its also nice if you can keep the snow shoveled from around the kennel entrance so they dont drag it into the house with them

My springer is 8months old and is an outside only dog. I have a heated bowl outside so he can get a drink when he wants. His house is insulated and I have a thermostat with heater in his house. I set the stat as low as it can go 40F.

cedar shavings/chips worked great for my grandfathers lab. Its the only think that I know of that takes the musty/oily smell away from a dog too. His lab never had a bad scent on her. Not sure why it works, but it does!

smile my golden is laying at the foot of my bed. I think he'll be in inside this winter, and probably everyone after that too! lol