• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strike Lite vs Lazer Mag Performance

chiroeye

Bought a Lazer Mag new in 02 and have had great success with it. Am thinking of selling it and upgrading to a new model. My question is, will the Lazer Mag have more torque and drilling power than the four stroke Strike Lite? Are there any glaring differences between the two besides price and basic 2 vs. 4 stroke engine differences? Am leaning towards the strike lite, but dont want to lose any performance quality I enjoy with the Lazer Mag. Thanks for any input guys.

I don't have any experience with the Lazer Mag, But I'm on my third year with my Strike Lite and have nothing bad to say about it. It does take a little while to warm up but that's fairly typical of a 4 Stroke. I did swap out the Synthetic Bit for a 224 bit and like that much better. The warm up time will probably be your only issue even if you stick with the original bit. You HAVE to clear the ice shavings good before you punch through or else the slush will freeze in the cup of the synthetic bit.

TB2

As TimBuck said, I also swapped out the plastic auger for the original steel auger. This really improved the performance on the overall auger because I also had freeze up of slush on the plastic auger. The motor on the Strike Lite is great and uses very little gas.

Have any of you guys that are familiar with the Strike Lite noticed a greater amount of torque if the bit becomes hung up in the ice? I used a buddy's Strike Lite last year and almost had the powerhead ripped from my hands. Just curious if anyone else had a similar experience.

that has been the only real problem reported on the forum as of the last year since they have come out. the fabricated plastic on the shaft has been known to break but i dont know if it was due to misuse or just happends. other than that no mixing of oil and gas seems like an awesome thing to have, wish i didnt have my 2 cycle after i seen the strike lite come out. but like the others above said, they swapped out for the steel auger part, and all was well again. i also think that having a 4 stroke you wont get the guming up of gas lines (if you dont take care of your equipment very well) and less fumes (no burning of oil) other than that I would love one of these units by my lazermag has been a great auger hands down, wouldnt choose anything other than a strikemaster

I think that 11 years and going strong on my Strikemaster Mag III Plus, 2 h.p. and 6" lazer head is pretty darn awesome. I don't think I will ever run this unit in the ground or would consider replacing it. A matter a fact I bought a new 7" lazer auger and pulled the 6" off for sight fishing. It just flat out runs awesome. Amsoil Saber Professional two cycle oil has enhanced it's performance and it runs clean as a whistle with no residue out the exhaust. The only problem I had was a gummmed throttle cable, easy fix with some spray liquid wrench.

My buddy has a lazer mag, and I have the strike lite, there is no real difference between the speed in which we cut holes. The 4 stroke has plenty of torque, but you do need to clean your holes out a bit more as you drill as the auger flighting is not as good as the steel.

I love my 4 stroke compared to those dirty 2 strokes, I would go for it. I love my strike lite.

If you have the funds go fo it I have a StrikeLite too and love it. It starts right up with 1 or 2 pulls and I don't have to worry about forgetting the 2 cycle oil at home when I'm on those 8 hour trips up north. Your Lazer mag is still a very good unit though.

I too have the StrikeLite. I love it. As far as clearing the chips, I don't worry about it until we get about 20" of ice. You definitely have to clear the chips in springtime ice. I have original plastic flights and have not had a problem. I fish 2-3 times a week, 8-20 holes per trip and used less than 2 tanks of gas last year.

FLaker

I'm in the same pickle..... Love my old jiffy, but I'm getting older and it only seems to get heavier every year. Its lasted 20 years without a problem and still has the original spark plug!!

I need to update, but what auger will keep up to that track record? Thinking about the strikelite or the new German Solo??