• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wildlife no cups

That buck shot is real sweet !

I shoot Canon so I can't really answer your question but from what I have heard the longer glass for Nikon is $$$$

I guess they don't make stuff like the 400mm 5.6 which is a great prime just a little slow but for wildlife shots in the day time it works great and the cost is not to bad.

Tom, Nikon doesn't have the extensive sharp affordable telephoto lens line that Canon does.

However, they make excellent teleconverters, and that Nikkor 70-200 is sharp enough that you can put on the 1.4 or the 1.7 and get to about 300-350mm without much loss of image quality. Nikon does make a very sharp 300 f4 for about $1,400. Couple that with the 1.4 and/or 1.7 and you're up to 400-500mm.

You also might take a look at the Sigma 150-500 OS (optical stabilization) in Nikon mount. It's quite affordable by supertelephoto standards and has gotten good reviews for image quality.

Sigma has a 120-400 and a 150-500 that are stabilized, cheap and come in a Nikon mount. Nikon's 70-300 VR is slow like the sigmas, but gets great reviews and comes in at about $550. Shooting the D80 you should be able to bump the iso some to make up for some of the shortcomings of slower glass. I have the D90 and a 70-300 and love it. I'd like a little more reach though, for weight, ease of carry and cost I plan to pick up the 150-500. In your case though I'd look into Steve's suggestion on the TC's, you could even consider the 2x TC. I would guess that your image quality with the 70-200 and a 2x TC would be as good or better than the Sigma 120-400 and its pretty much the same focal range.

Good luck and nice buck!