• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

theres ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

northspear

i just went out to a lake by my house and theres a thin sheet covering a good part of the lake. threw a rock and broke it but its a start.

and one note i got a pic up for my sailing problem it took some trys but i got it up for people to look at.

LMAO guys I'll be out as soon as there is three inches of ice and hopefully will have spear shack in tow to the spot and Its not hard to figure out where I'm spearing I think in the past I have always said where I was or was that wasn't laugh anyway I'm ready and if I run north to muzzy hunt you can bet that I'm taking the spear with for some daytime fun. I think there will be ice north by the weekend at least I was told the lake that the hunting property is on was iced over on sunday.besides the fish I spear are to long to fit up my sleeve so I use my pant leg winklaughlaughlaughlaugh

I like to have 3-4" also, I have been on 2" with tip-ups. But it all depends on the body of water and the quaility of the ice. Always check every step with a good chisle. Please use cation, I have not been wet as of yet, and I am a large guy 280-300lbs.

it all depends on the ice itself and there is a ton of varibles that will make good ice and bad ice,hard ice and soft ice. I do alot of testing with my chisel or ice saw as I'm walking around before I even think of pulling the house out.

I have been on three inches with the house and it fine and I had it on five inches and water is coming up the hole and flooding the ice.

I guess the best way to describe it is its alot like reading a river if you know what I mean. both the river and ice are very unpredictable so be very careful on first ice

It is always a good idea to do at least one or more of the following

1) Wear a life jacket.

2) Have your ice pics around your neck.

3) Have a rope tied off to a tree

4) Have a buddy along.

5) Stay in shallower watter.

6) Have access to a cell phone in a dry location if something should happen.

7) Be smart and always remember safety first.

8) If you don't feel comfortable get off the ice.

Northspear I usually start ice fishing by foot when there is 3 inches of good clear ice, but I take the chisel to check each step and I Pack Light (sled, bucket, vex, rods, tackle pouch, life vest, picks, cell, ice gripers for your boots and minnow bucket). I've just learned over the years that you best be out there right away before people start driving their wheelers and vehicles on the ice. Guys are nuts, especially up in your area Northspear! (Went to college at BSU for 5 years.) I've seen guys drive wheelers on 4 inches of ice while fishing for walleyes..and last year on Dec. 1st while spearing on Bemidji I walked out pulling my spear house and seen guys driving wheelers pulling trailers so I figured the ice was at least 4-5" thick....WRONG! Took me 3 chops to break through with the chisel and I measured 2 3/4" of ice..and guys were driving wheelers on that NO LIE! I guess I don't get it? Don't people walk or can't they walk a 1/2 mile or a few hundred yards to their house?

Your dad sounds like hes has had some experience with his sound advice, but ya can't teach commen sense to some folks it comes as aquired knowledge over time. Maybe see ya out there northspear on an area lake?

The Army says 2 inches of good ice will hold a 200 pound load. DNR say's don't go on the ice if it's less than 4 inches. It's a judgement call, really because no ice is ever safe. Last season we had 4 guys (probably about 7-800 pounds) on 2 inches over 30 feet of water smashing holes with an axe...the ice was cracking all over between the holes and in hindsight it was pretty stupid...don't know how we didn't fall through, maybe it was divine intervention? Anyway just be safe and use tools like PFDs and picks in case you do go through.

yea i have a good idea what lakes have hot springs and have fast current. lake bemidji my dad said is like two lakes the south end freezes first and north last. im going to stick to going on a small lake for first ice. and travel with a buddy. i think ill wait till there is about 5 inches. just to be safe. i think if i can get out by third week of Dec ill be happy. and the way the weather is this week 6 inches might happen by then.