• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

track studing question

mltjanderson

I'm new to this sport so please help. I have a 98 Indy 500 I add plastic skis w/ dual carbides. The three friends that got me into riding have very different opinions on if/or how many studs I need to add to the track. one says I don't need stud, one says 48 is enough, the last guy says a min. of 96 if not 144. Your opinions please. Thanks Mark

I have always used the theory no less then 1 stud per horse power. I think 48 might be a little light and think that with that sled that 96 would be plenty.

Just remember that you have to have a stud permit to run on a snowmobile trail.

Didn't they do away with the stud permit, and just now use a trail sticker/permit? I don't have studs, but get the trail sticker as you need it even without studs... I thought anyway. But I am new at this smile

I am thinking about studs on my sleds, but not sure. I see my wife's rear end sliding a bit (haha, insert joke here wink ) and was thinking it might help her in corners.

The stud permit was eliminated a couple years ago.

Studded sleds are not allowed on paved trails, and there are more and more year-round recreation (snowmobile) trails built each year. These trails are posted quite well, and ID'd on the maps to let you know.

96 studs should be minimal and sufficient for a 500cc sled, IMO.

You are right they got rid of the stud permit and you are required to have a trail permit if you are going to use the trail system.

I have not had to worry about the stud issue for a couple years now with my rmk and forgot.

sorry for the wrong info.

I had 144 studs in my Polaris 600 last year and wasn't happy with it. I think I should have gone with less studs. This year I have a 600 ski doo. The factory recommends 84 studs down the middle. They won't honor the warranty if there's more than 84, so I'm guessing 84 has to be plenty sufficient, even if you're running on the ice a lot. As soon as there's snow, I'll let you know what I think... but by then, it probably will be too late. Good Luck.

i argee 1 stud per horse power and i would say no more then 96. and say you have a lugs size 1.25 your stud size should be aleast 1.375 and so on. for studs patterns go to woodysdotcom and studs sizes also.

i cant wait for the snow.