• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sometimes! I tell ya...

Kyle

So my puppy has been doing great with healing while on the leash. He picked it up great from the get go, without any urge to pull or to sit down. Then the other day I put some pheasant scent on a dummy, and since then he cannot walk anywhere without his nose the ground. Now he pulls like nobody's business while walking on the leash. I guess its a good thing he uses his nose so much, but how does one go about breaking this habit of constantly wanting to smell everything, and pulling while on leash?

its' the nature of the hunting dog. i also have a puppy and her nose is also constantly on the ground. I encourage it, that's what I got her for, and that's what she loves!! I do still expect her to listen when I give commands, if she doesn't listen, we have a talk.

When you are doing your walking-healing training every day you will jerk up on the lead with a "heal" verbal correction. Every time she sticks her nose down to the ground you will jerk the lead upward.

She is not hunting when on the lead she is walking at command with you, her MASTER. She is NOT in charge of the situation you are.

GOOD LUCK

When you are doing your walking-healing training every day you will jerk up on the lead with a "heal" verbal correction. Every time she sticks her nose down to the ground you will jerk the lead upward.

She is not hunting when on the lead she is walking at command with you, her MASTER. She is NOT in charge of the situation you are.

GOOD LUCK

Yep, when on heal the dog is doing one thing and that is sticking to you like glue waiting for your next move and ready to adjust to it. At the instant the dog looks distracted gets his attention back.

I agree with the two posts above me. I understand your desire to let him sniff around though. What I do on walks or bike rides is to demand that my dog heel when we're on pavement, but when we get to the park, I release him and let him sniff, run around, and do whatever he wants as long as he's not bothering other folks. I do call him back every so often to reinforce that he WILL listen and will obey. When we walk back home, he's at a strict heel when before we get to pavement.

How old is your puppy? Go easy on the choke chains and prong collars with a real young dog because their necks are still developing. You need to "let the puppy be a puppy" which is the most frustrating advice you'll get from every pro. My dog pulled on his leash hard and I'd correct him quick jerk-baits with a flat collar doesn't really leave a lasting impression on puppies. After struggling with that forever, I put a prong collar on him at 4 months and he learned to heal in two ten minute sessions.

The best advice I can give you is to spend the money on a proven system - which means an expensive book that goes step by step from puppyhood to finished gundog. At some point you will lay awake in bed at night wondering what you're doing wrong or if your dog is just not cut out for whatever you're trying to do. It's not worth it, buy the system. I've got some opinions on which ones are my favorite but so does the next guy.

870 is right follow a proven method or system and you will end up with a nice dog. I recommend Fowl dawgs 1,2 and 3 (dvd) with Rick Stawski of fineline retrievers in Millaca MN. It's very easy to follow and doesn't stick to time lines in training, and is very thorough. And in the vids he's training real dogs at that stage of there treining not dogs that have already been though it to make it look good. And they won't break the bank.

If you are following the tapes and run into a problem he answers phone calls and emails..