• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

sunfish spearing decoy?

mrpike1973

hello i have seen a few sunfish style decoys some look like a sunnie some are red and white are these good decoys or are they not as popular because the dont draw pike in as well just wondering what your experience has been with them if any thing one would look good on the mantle over the fire thanks

I bought this one (about 4" long) in Perham this year.

4145968342_b0498eb423.jpg

I have yet to use it.

I think for the most part pike prefer long skinny fish, and I think that is because of the northern pikes shape. The long skinny fish "fit" better in their stomachs.

Having said that I do know that northerns can and do eat small panfish because I have seen them in their stomachs.

I am going to try this one this year and see how it works.

I expect to see more bass with this decoy, that is my hunch but we will wait to see.

So far in my limited experience I have found that decoys with stripes on them work the best for the lakes that I fish.

Maybe after this year, using this decoy I will have other ideas?

I also think that each lake has it's own "best" decoy.

I think it's really a matter of experimenting and figuring out what works best for the lake you're spearing. I used a crappie pattern decoy last year and it didn't bring anything in, but I get the feeling that's because it was poorly weighted and didn't run level. Merk, is that sunfish a Rick Whittier by any chance?

It's really hard to get that body shape to swim right as a decoy. I'm in the middle of making one right now and after several hours of playing with the weight I'm still not impressed.

I have had good success with small sunfish. As far as northern eating sunfish the lake I spear on most 90% of the fish I've cleaned have small sunfish in them.

I have a few that I use, but like spearhead said, they are hard to get them to swim well. When I do use them it it usually as a second decoy that just sits there, then I will work a different one. I have had some come to the sunfish, but it is not my go to decoy.

hello i have seen a few sunfish style decoys some look like a sunnie some are red and white are these good decoys or are they not as popular because the dont draw pike in as well just wondering what your experience has been with them if any thing one would look good on the mantle over the fire thanks
My husband has a sunfish, crappie, nord,decoy made by sham and they are for display only, that is how good the art work is.

I really like Rick Whittier's decoys from what I have seen so far. I picked one up earlier this year that a lake trout pattern and I can't wait to get it on the water and see how it runs. I'm thinking that it would work really great on Grindstone.