• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New HOYT!

Fish&Fowl

Well I just purchased my first real bow today. Got the new Hoyt Maxxis 31". I was completely convinced I was going to get the Afterburner, but it wasn't even close. The Maxxis feels like an extension of my body and balances in my hand like a dream. Plenty fast, smooth, and very quiet. It's all dialed in, can't wait to fling an arrow at a real deer!!

Awesome!

But can I ask what made the Maxxis the clear choice? I shot both the Maxxis and the Afterburner and felt they were both great bows. My biggest problem was getting an actual "feeling" on how both shot for me, the Maxxis was too short to get the full feel of the bow, while the Afterburner had no sights or peep, so I was shooting instinctively. I liked each so much I started contemplating how to get one in my hands, but I felt they were both very close in what fit me best. I need to shoot the proper draw lenght Maxxis first (it was brand new and the store only had one of each), but the speed of the afterburner was noticeably faster and I've never shot a speed bow that was so nice to shoot - but it is a bit longer axle to axle and I do 95% of my hunting in a treestand/groundblind. Just looking for other opinions between the two!

Awesome!

But can I ask what made the Maxxis the clear choice? I shot both the Maxxis and the Afterburner and felt they were both great bows. My biggest problem was getting an actual "feeling" on how both shot for me, the Maxxis was too short to get the full feel of the bow, while the Afterburner had no sights or peep, so I was shooting instinctively. I liked each so much I started contemplating how to get one in my hands, but I felt they were both very close in what fit me best. I need to shoot the proper draw lenght Maxxis first (it was brand new and the store only had one of each), but the speed of the afterburner was noticeably faster and I've never shot a speed bow that was so nice to shoot - but it is a bit longer axle to axle and I do 95% of my hunting in a treestand/groundblind. Just looking for other opinions between the two!

I was also "convinced" I was going to shoot at least a 34" bow, but after shooting them all the 31 was awesome. When I held the bows out and loosened my grip, the Afterburner leaned forward quite a bit and would have fallen to the floor, while the Maxxis was perfectly balanced for ME. It may be different for YOU. Can't go wrong either way once you figure out which fits you best.

Just got the same bow myself. I have to shoot it some more before I hunt it but I LOVE the feel and speed. I went from a 12 year old HOYT to this one and wow, bows have come a long way. My choice was between the Maxxis and the new Matthews z or x or something. It shot at 317 fps at 71 lbs and 29" at the store.

FLaker