• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Decoy Carving

mrklean

So i was thinking about trying my hand at decoy carving i looked at some of the past post on it and i think i will try cedar or basswood to carve, next question what type of equipment do you guys use, hand tools or power tools like those small hand grinders where you can change the ends to all types of different sanders and grinders? Just looking for some helpful hints, also where to get wood that isnt gonna cost an arm and a leg

basswood is somewhat exspensive but the pieces I buy generaly go for $10 and I get about 3 to 4 decoys out of it, but well worth it, its what I use, I use a bandsaw to get my rough outline then use a powered hand grinder- works the best for getting detail into it, I use a wood burning tool with a fine tip to add the fine detail- scales and what not. Its fun and easy. My first decoy wasnt the prettiest but ya cant expect a master piece after your first one, takes time and patience but the outcome is well worth it.

Any particular type of cedar you guys like? I think I read somewhere that white cedar is good for decoys, but I dunno. I'm thinking I'll have to buy some wood from an online distributor. All this specialty wood is hard to come by.

I'd use cedar if you can. Basswood has a tendency to crack once it gets wet. I use a bandsaw, 1" belt sander, Dremmel and files. It gets addicting and expensive, but the rewards well worth it.

Good Luck!

That is pretty much the same as I do, except the files. What kind of files do you use? I tried basswood for a while, some split and some didn't. I quit using it, too frustrating when you put that much time into a decoy only to have it split the first time you use it.

Red cedar is good, too. Ditto on the basswood cracking problem... I grew up on 14 acres of solid basswood--it carves like a dream, but your decoys will crack every time due to the stress of a warm fish house, then cold water, repeat. Save some heartache and use cedar--I have access via a friend to a swamp full of cedar, so I never have had to buy wood...not sure about where to get it. As far as detailing, I love a wood burning pen for putting in detail (scales, jaw lines, etc.) It is easer to use than a file, and once the paint is on you cannot see an difference in appearance versus a file. Trial and error is the best teacher, but I did learn some good tricks here: http://www.midarkhouse.org/articles/holmes_buildingafishdecoy.html

Good luck, post pics!

I have been making some decoys from ash or a firm pine. I use a band saw, knife to carve down some shapes, then file and sand to finish before painting. I have 2 decoys I'm working on just looking to do a final paint job. I post photos later, looking to find what many like as main colors. I will sell most of my decoys if guys would be interested.

Originally Posted By: Spearhead
I'd use cedar if you can. Basswood has a tendency to crack once it gets wet. I use a bandsaw, 1" belt sander, Dremmel and files. It gets addicting and expensive, but the rewards well worth it.

Good Luck!

That is pretty much the same as I do, except the files. What kind of files do you use? I tried basswood for a while, some split and some didn't. I quit using it, too frustrating when you put that much time into a decoy only to have it split the first time you use it.

I just use a real small set of round and half round files. Mostly to clean up what the Dremmel can't.

I have been making some decoys from ash or a firm pine. I use a band saw, knife to carve down some shapes, then file and sand to finish before painting. I have 2 decoys I'm working on just looking to do a final paint job. I post photos later, looking to find what many like as main colors. I will sell most of my decoys if guys would be interested.

My personal favorite color is chartuse/red but BNS is right cant beat the oldest best color combo ever red/white is hard to beat....

unless its chartuse and red grin

Looking good so far jigginjim!!

One thing you might want to consider in the future:

I have one decoy that is painted with a silver base coat then a thin coat of paint over that.

The guy who made it used taxidermy oil paints.

Out of the water this thing looks light brown and grey.

Under the water it lights up like crazy.