• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Some sports shots

Paul

Had a chance to

watch my cousin play hockey over the weekend with Concordia Moorhead took on St Olaf. I have not done a lot of sport shooting so this was a little strange for me but here are some the results. All Taken handheld with 100-400L lens no flash indoors.

119631598.jpg

119631595.jpg

119631593.jpg

Paul, that shot with the loose puck in front of the net is a very nice capture! Can you post your exif data? I did a fair amount of shooting with the 100-400 for indoor hockey awhile ago, even though the common wisdom was that it was too slow (aperture wise) a lens to get effective photographs, and I'm interested to see the settings on these.

Exif for pic number one is as follows:

F5, 1/200 sec, ISO 800, WB set to flourescent using +.67 exposure compensation. shot in Manual with Manual.

Pic number 2 was f5.6, 1/250 sec, +.33 exposure compensation iso 1600, WB on Florescent. 150mm focal length with partial metering.

I can't seem to figure out witch shot I took number 3 from. I cropped out a bit of the ref who had fallen on his keyster and don't remeber which of the 400 shots I got this one from.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect shooting between 800-1600 iso but I am fairly impressed with the shot quality from standing on the upper deck of the arena.

Mike, I did not have to shoot through glass, as I was standing in the handicap area at the top of the arena, wich gave me some vantage of both sides of the rink. The Moorhead Sports center is also very well lit wich helped also. My 2 goals here were to get some good pics for my cousin, and #2 get a good pic to turn into N4C in the photo-journalism category of monthly contests. I have noticed since my involvment in the local and regional multi state camera club, that my shooting has broadend a bit. I normally wouldn't have shot a hockey game because it gets in they way of my big mouth and cheering but it was kinda fun anyway. I have some aqaintances that shoot all the hockey events in the area and they tell me that they will shoot upwards of 5000 shots each during a tournemanet. And if you are familiar with hockey, Fargo/Moorhead hosts some pretty big youth tourneys here, so those guys shoot a lot of ice but use Canon Mark 1's with 70-200 2.8's or faster. The company owner has a 100mm f1.5 that he uses also in lowere light situations add that to monster iso capabilities of the newer bodies and you could almost shoot in the dark.