• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sled pulling: Anyone have any tricks?

TiNK3R

I minimize my load, especially when the snow is deep. I usually fish outside of the house because I like ice trolling. If I can get by with a small sled, thats what I'll use. I also use the one man house most of the time. I think that a rig with some old skis would do well in the snow. My nephew used this style very effectively with his old 4x8 suitcase style. I see the long ropes out there, but to me they seem to make the front drag more. I like to stay about six feet away from the sled and alternate my hands when pulling. It's good cardio work at the least.

They seem to have posted up ok. The thing I like is that I can leave the harness on when Im fishing and it doesnt really get in the way. When Im ready to go I just hook up the caribeener (SP) and go.

My otter sled and clam both have a lot more rope on them so keep that in mind too. It does make a difference.

The ratchet straps allow pretty much anything to be used and I have never had anything I was pulling come undone.

The other thing is that the ski poles maybe weigh 3oz. Maybe. I think they are carbon fiber. They are so light that they add pretty much no weight and using your arms to help pull makes a huge difference in how quick you go. Im sure they weigh less that a bottle of premium.

This was my rig when I lived up in ely (I had a frabill ultralight at that time). All the lakes that I liked to fish were a mile or better hike in so I had to find a way to get in without killing myself in the process. This was the best out of all the things I tried. I still loose around 20 lbs during ice fishing season so I guess you could say its my personal fitness routine grin.

Dead, like the rigging. I think that the skis offer a larger surface area and slide better in the snow than the narrower hyfax kits. The key is to stay on top of the snow as much as possible. I love the early ice fitness program as well.

Looks good and I like the idea, but I'd alter the execution a bit. Tie off the rope to the front 'eyes for putting the skis instead of the sled so you are pulling the rig and not the load and to help pull up over snow instead of through it. Also, I'd cut the boards mounted directly to the skis down to maybe an inch or 2 infront of your 'eyes, and leave maybe 4 inches under the top board. Modern metal skis are pretty tough.

The rig I made a couple years ago also had cross members and was taller to get out of more snow. I sold it with a fishhouse so I don't have any pictures of it.

I think that one of them main things for pulling is traction. I would highly recommend some kind of spikes for your boots. that way there is less muscle strain on trying to keep from slipping and more power pulling. the ski's are a great idea. I have always found that a shorter rope is better, that way it keeps the tension up to help ride above the snow and not through it.

deadeye has a pretty nice rig setup.