• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sled pulling: Anyone have any tricks?

TiNK3R

So I'm one of those guys who don't want to drive on the ice. (I will with the wifes Cavileer, but not my baby.. just not worth it) and I don't have a place to store a 4wheeler or snowmobile.

I was curious if anyone had any tricks to making sled pulling a little bit easier. I have a medium sized otter tub and I might get some hyfax runners, but I had them on my fish trap guide and they didn't do a lot.

I've heard of people putting skis on them, or using a clam harness but I'm not sure. I don't know if I want to put a harness on incase I go through.

Any tricks/tips?

I put the hyfax runners on my frabill trekker and found it much easier to pull but i also keep the weight down when pulling by hand. I also find that if there is compacted snow to pull on (sled tracks top the list) then that makes it easier.

I've never seen anyone with a harness or talked to anyone with one so i can't comment on those.

If you have some old skis or access to some old ones then i could see that working pretty well.

I use a deer stand harness (the type that is on your chest) to pull mine. It makes a huge difference. Also, I picked up a set of cross country ski poles and use them while pulling it and that helped out a lot too. My arms and legs are usually burning by the time I get to the spot but its better than sitting at home. Who said ice fishing isn't a workout? grin

I have a set of cross country skis with wood mounted on top for ground clearance and I set the house on top of it. I tie it down with ratchet straps attached to eye bolts in the wood. It really makes it much easier when there is a bit of snow on the ice.

Im sure you could double or triple the hyfax up and it would work about the same. You would just need longer bolts.

I think my whole setup cost maybe 20 bucks thanks to skis/poles from goodwill. The harness I had laying around from hunting so that was free.

Pushing the blocking sled around the yard for a month helps!

I try and pack as light as possible and made a simple 2 handle system for the rope which seems to be easier than the both hands behind the back method as it keeps your hands more by your side.

When I pull my otter cabin I use a very long rope and I have a big loop tied in it. Enough to get my body inside it, kind of like over one shoulder and then down to my waist on the other side.

My Arms are not used when pulling, and the loop is big enough to easily get it over me or even let it drop the ground and step out of it.

That has helped tons. I think the ski idea with some blocks between skies and tub to get tub above snow would be a great idea!

A "harness" is the way to go, in my opinion. Having your arms free and getting wide seatbelt-type straps to distribute the weight to your torso is the easiest way to pull. Also, getting the pull point up high (center or small of your back) helps keep the sled from plowing and makes it easier to ride over the top of stuff.

A modified deer drag harness is cheap and an easy start to a harness. I haven't seen the Clam harness, but I assume it would be a good place to start if you want to see an option to work off of for making your own. Also, I wouldn't worry about the harness if you go through the ice, as I like to use a good length of rope to keep the sled a ways behind me. Who knows, though?

I have a longer rope and just throw it over my head and pull like an ol' mule with it around my chest or waist. It allows your arms to work which keeps your momentum going. Ice cleats on the boots are a plus too. I try to pack the heavy stuff in the rear of the sled to keep the front on top of the snow and not nose-diving into it.

I use the blaze orange deer drag harness from FF with an long rope tied to my otter cabin or den, what ever the smaller one is. The trick I found out (by accident) is that with a long piece of rope, I can keep the harness on while the weather is nicer out and sit and fish an area and move to the next area or hole, etc.....

I use a long rope, with a small diameter PVC pipe on it to provide rigidity. Throw it around your waist or over your shoulder. It also makes it possible for two people to pull it if one person grabs each side of the PVC pipe. I have been pulling my 2 man otter since I was 12 like this. If a twelve year old can do It im sure you can.

I use a long rope, with a small diameter PVC pipe on it to provide rigidity. Throw it around your waist or over your shoulder. It also makes it possible for two people to pull it if one person grabs each side of the PVC pipe. I have been pulling my 2 man otter since I was 12 like this. If a twelve year old can do It im sure you can.

Ed, age and deceit will overcome youth and skill every time.

My sons and I have used several pairs of downhill skis over the years for fish house towing. I think the most I ever paid for a pair at garageand rummage sales has been two bucks. Since this isn't the season for that, try Goodwill.

I use a metal runner sled (radio flyer) when the snow is not to deep and that makes a huge difference. Ratchet strap your tub to the sled. But the best overall route is to use a hub style shelter and a narrow long plastic sled. Hub shelters are large and light. Mine is 23 pounds at 6'x6'. Even with all your gear you will be lighter than with just your otter house. And if the snow is not so deep use the metal runner sled with this setup and can pull it with your pinky.

has anybody tried an old tobbagon? I was thinking the curved front portion would really glide over the snow...but was wondering about width? Quite possibly if the fish house being pulled out is wider than the tobbagon it may then dig in to the snow on the side?? But...anyone ever try one?

I don't have pics at the current moment. My ice house is in the shed up in the rafters. I will post up pics in the next week of the whole setup since I was going to get the house ready anyway.

The sweet thing about the skis is that I started using them for my clam 5600 and have since used them on a canvas craft northlander 8x8 and my otter sled/house. They will work for just about any kind of portable you want to take out.