• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Royce White

Barony

U official: Gophers' Royce White suspect in campus theft

By MYRON P. MEDCALF, Star Tribune

Police are investigating Gophers freshman men's basketball player Royce White, last year's Minnesota Mr. Basketball, as a possible suspect in a Saturday night theft on the University of Minnesota campus, according to athletic department spokesman Garry Bowman.

White is currently serving an indefinite suspension after being arrested Oct. 13 on allegations of shoplifting and fifth-degree assault of a security guard at the Mall of America.

This guy needs to go. I applaud Tubby for trying to make a man out of him and hold him accountable, but it may be time to cut the losses. It's a privilege to be an athlete on scholarship. I worked my [PoorWordUsage] off for a degree and it makes me puke to watch these guys take it for granted. I don't care how good he is, he's a bad actor who has never been told "no" until Coach Smith did. Makes me wonder how he behaved at Hopkins and how many people looked the other way because he was the superstar?

C'mon guys lets not jump to conclusions. The story said he was one of the people in the dormitory when it happened. He hasn't been identified as the person who took the laptop. But, I couldn't agree with you more, if he is found guilty of this he should lose his scholarship. Again, I agree, Tubby knew what he was getting with this player. Sometimes a player who has a coach like Tubby who really cares for his players will change his behavior and become a solid contributor on the team and society but more often than not he has not had a strong family support system to guide him in the right direction. If you read the story his grandfather was asked questions. Not his mom or dad - this is a huge problem for todays athletes - no father figure around, a sense of entitlement and as said before not enough saying no to these young men. It will continue to be a huge problem until a major culture change takes place and I'm afraid it will only get worse before it gets better.

I agree TR21. But like Barony said, I wonder how many time in the past have people looked the other way because this kid was a great basketball player. This behavior didn't just happen overnight.

The people who have looked the other way and made excuses for him over the years have not helped him. They've done this kid a huge disservice. It's sad.

I'm waiting to see what will happen. Laptop thefts are the most common target in dormitories. He could be a suspect on reputation alone. If they have some nail him to the wall evidence versus speculation, its time to kick him to the curb.

Royce White pleads guilty to misdemeanors

by ROCHELLE OLSON, Star Tribune

Royce White, a highly-recruited Gophers basketball freshman who is currently suspended from the team, pleaded guilty Wednesday to charges of theft and disorderly conduct in Hennepin County District Court. Both charges were misdemeanors stemming from an Oct. 13 incident at the Mall of America.

His sentence was stayed, and if he stays out of further legal trouble the guilty pleas will be removed from his record. He also must stay away from the Mall of America for a year.

White admitted to taking $100 in merchandise from Macy’s and getting into an argument with a security guard.

White has also been named as a possible suspect by University of Minnesota police in an on-campus burglary that took place a few weeks after the MOA incident. White’s attorney, F. Clayton Tyler, said Wednesday that White is cooperating with police in the investigation. Tyler said that White denies stealing the laptop.

Bostick is supposed to be clear to play, word is the Mbakwe situtation is speeding along, and maybe White will get his chance. One more thing, any little thing from littering or jay walking to worse, and I think he's gone...All things considered, the team isn't doing too bad and should be getting better and adding players as the season goes along. Beat Miami tonight, and the resume looks a little better after a couple poiseless games in Anaheim.

Ya wonder sometimes what he's thinkin'. If he's as much trouble as he's advertising himself to be thus far, he could be a candidate to be the next JR Rider. Tubby's a basketball coach not a babysitter. Maybe Huggins will take a shot at him.

He should just go straight to JUCO, NBDL, or Euro and be done with it. He obviously can't handle the college environment.

If he didn't want to get suspended, he shouldn't have shoplifted and resisted arrest.

I agree whomever is giving this kid advice isn't either aware of the consequenses of this decision or doesn't have a clue what the real world is all about. Keep going down this road Royce and we will be reading about you again - next time a lot more serious.