• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

boat has to sit outside any thing special to know

mrpike1973

hello i always have had my boat in the shed for winter this year it wont happen its a small row boat with a 9.9 it is winterized lower unit changed, gas empty ,bearings packed i put a big tarp over it used 5 gallon pails to make a tepee put plywood under the tires ,tongue on a pail put plastic bags around hitch and wires will this suffice or will my baby rot and fall apart thank you

Mines sat out last 5 years all I do is fill the tank last trip out with stabil go fish top off after the trip pull the plug and plug in the charger. Covers optional some years depending on if it snows before I quit fishing. Mines always ready to go come ice off.

mrpike1973, When I had my S-14 Lund, she spent every one of her winters outside, upside down on the trailer that was blocked up off the ground. Weathered it well, none the less for wear. I never had to worry about ice inside, critters or the sun/moisture/ice doing a job on my seats. Kinda miss them days frown Things were so much simpler then. The outboard on the other hand got to stay in the shed (security). Phred52

I did what the original poster did and in the spring found my boat 1/2 full of hazelnuts, acorns, cedar nuts and something else. It was a stinky mess and we filled 3 of those large garbage containers with the stuff.

If at all possible turn the boat upside down as someone suggested and avoid the holes in your boat cover and the ripped up seats.

This year is the 1st year a boat of mine will be stored outside all winter. I normally keep it in a buddys barn, but I fish until ice up and am out very early season...anyhoo...

Make sure all the water is drained. Use RV anti-freeze anywhere water may build up. Batteries? Well, if possible bring em in. I will be keeping all mine in the boat this year, but I am 20 feet away from a power source, and will just plug them into the maintainer for a week, then off for 3, etc. you said you have the cover tee-peed...perfect, and I think you have everything else covered.

I have a few outdoor/barn cats so they keep the mice at bay. So maybe dryer sheets around electrical chords just in case?

I would put the cheapest dryer sheets you can buy in it to keep the mice out. Generic sheets seem to work the best, I think because they stink the most. Moth balls work too, but then your boat would smell like moth balls, and that would be nasty.

This year is the 1st year a boat of mine will be stored outside all winter. I normally keep it in a buddys barn, but I fish until ice up and am out very early season...anyhoo...

Make sure all the water is drained. Use RV anti-freeze anywhere water may build up. Batteries? Well, if possible bring em in. I will be keeping all mine in the boat this year, but I am 20 feet away from a power source, and will just plug them into the maintainer for a week, then off for 3, etc. you said you have the cover tee-peed...perfect, and I think you have everything else covered.

I have a few outdoor/barn cats so they keep the mice at bay. So maybe dryer sheets around electrical chords just in case?

Dont you have to replace the cats every 3 weaks.