• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pick a stand site from an aerial map

sticknstring

Going to a new never-before hunted area in the dark Sat morning and hoping I've got a good all-day spot picked out for bowhunting. Assume a west wind and LOTS of hunting pressure as this is public and the 1st day of gun season. I've already got my stand marked and gameplan ready but curious as where all of you would go. My antlerless tag has been filled and I'm looking for a good buck. The roads you see are open only to foot/bike traffic & the map pictured is approximately 3 miles across for scale. I don't have a topo but it's relatively flat. Lots of good funnels but picking the right one will be the challenge. Where would you go?

pickastand1.jpg

I figured someone would recognize it grin. I'll be on the east half tomorrow morning in a pinch close to one of the fields. Hopefully a few guys will see the deer sign you did and push them towards me.

Feel free to save the pic and put a dot or an x in a place you'd consider taking a look at and repost and explain your logic. It's always interesting to analyze the ground that looks good from the air. Maybe we could take this one step further and post our own hunting woodlots or sections we hunt and know well. Post an aerial, let everyone chime in, and then post actual stands and recent results. Could be interesting.

Good luck in that area as it is swamped with people and the deer are moving at about 30 miles per hour. We were in that area last year and that area looked like a sea of orange. We will be in the area again this year but are putting on waders and getting into the swamps. The area you are looking at is a long walk but it has about 5 different access points from different directions to the big field you are near and it seems to attract the hunters. Also, you will see guys walking or standing on the roads shooting at the deer as they cross the roads, which we did ask about and they are ok with since the roads are closed to vehicles. Also, this is not state land, it is federal, make sure you don't leave your stand out there. And I know you know this but please make sure you wear plenty of orange. By the way, we will be in the area but not in your spot there, but that is a good spot, IF you are able to get there 1st. Good luck!!

I went out Sat morning. Arrived at the parking lot at 5:15 and there were already 10 vehicles there. Hopped on the bike and took off for my 1.75 mile entry. I didn't pass anyone so I figured there'd be guys where I wanted to be, but nobody was & I got situated on stand around 6:00am. Saw 2 does and a big 'ol longbeard. He came to within 30 yds. Saw some other hunters but it wasn't a sea of orange by any means. I figured more guys would be out walking and moving deer around but it was pretty slow. I stayed on stand until noon and then biked back to the truck. I'll probably wait until muzzy season to get back out there. As for the comment on shooting down the roads as the deer crossed, I hope you're kidding. I hope to god myself or anyone else aren't on their way back to the truck when a deer crosses the road behind us.

Good to hear that you weren't over run with people, we weren't either, only saw 4 others all day Saturday. Pressure was way down for some reason. As for shooting on the roads, they do it all the time. Last year I watch as a couple of guys drove a small swamp while another guy stood on the road and he shot a small buck as it crossed the road, which is why we asked if it was ok. We also saw people doing the same thing yesterday. My dad passed up a nice doe yesterday because it was running straight down a road but I'm sure many out there would have taken that shot. I've also seen several guys that all they do is walk up and down the roads hunting. There is no muzzleloader season out there but you can still use your bow. Good luck. We did see some deer but not as many as usual but the sign is there.