• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ladders vs Hang-ons vs Climbers

Which stand is your favorite to bow hunt out of?

I have 5 hang-ons and two ladders and I mainly only use the hang-ons for bow hunting. I am interested in a climber. I just don't have a lot of trees in the area I can just shimmy up without some major reconstructive work of the tree.

I'm only a year into bow hunting, and have a climber that I use. I have a 2-man ladder I use for rifle. Last year I wasn't too hip on the climber, but over the winter/summer, I groomed a number of trees (limbed them and cut some brush/twigs) and I have really grown to love the flexibility that the climber offers. I can go here one day, play the wind and go elsewhere another day and not need a dozen hang-ons.

If I had a main spot I used a lot, I may opt for a ladder or strap on, but since I hunt 3 different areas and like to pick my spot based on the elements, I like the flexibility of the climber.

I vote for a climber also. This is my first year with one, and I dont think I will go back to a hang on. I only hunt public land, so the climber works out slick for walking long distances into the woods with very little bulk and weight. With a hang on you need to carry loud/bulky ladders or steps. Now its climber on back, and bow in hand. Just make sure you get a quality brand climber.

I have been using a hang on for many years and they work pretty good for my hunting conditions. It seems like the older lock on ones i have are not as comfy as the new gorilla one i bought, but the old one had a carpet plat form to stand on vs the steel mesh on the new with all the holes in it man is it a pain to keep quite with mud off your boots falling through them mad, This is my frist year with a ladder, I think that one is the most comfortable to sit it for bow or shotgun i assume, but it was the most work carrying out and setting up.

Comparing the three is like comparing a skill saw, a band saw, and a chain saw. They will all cut wood, but there are circumstances when one is better than the other and where one won't work and another will. If you are spending good money on stands, you can find a comfortable stand in any of the 3 varieties. In that sense, I don't think I can choose one over the other.

That said, if I could only own one stand, it would be a quality hang on, because they can be used in any tree that a climber or ladderstand could as well as in cases climbers or ladderstands are not practical.

I use my climber all the time. I've got prolly 6-7 hang-ons setup on private ground but it's sure nice to have the flexibilty to setup on hot sign or imo a must on public land or situations like ripley. I saw guys toting around ladder sections in there last weekend... clanking all over the place. Crazy.

I'm in favor of the climber. I hunt on private property with a number of permanent stands to hunt from on any given day. However, being mobile and having the luxury of setting up over sign is sweet. There are guys who hunt our land with ladder stands which have sat where they are for years. I think they planned on being mobile with their ladder stands but with all the work and effort it takes to move them I understand why they haven't moved much over the years. In their defense, most of the ladder stands are for rifle season but when it comes to bow hunting the mobility of a climber is the way to go. I ended up purchasing a 4-year old Lone Wolf sit & climb from a guy and called Lone Wolf and had them send me replacement parts (i.e. traction belts, bow holder grommet, and seat). I love the setup.

Anyone who has hunted long enough probably owns all three because they all have their uses. I use my climber most of the time just to stay mobile and to have the ability to hunt the wind, most places I hunt I don't have a problem finding a tree even if some of them need a little trim on the way up. My 2nd choice would be a ladder stand, you can put them anywhere and its so nice just to sneek in and climb up without much setup, great for bedding areas. They are not easily moved so I generally reserve them until I have a prime location zero'd in. Finally hang on stands are great for every possible situation under the sun unless you are in ground blind territory. I don't use them that much because they can be a pain to setup and are not all that comfortable but I alwasy have one around just in case.

hang on! versitile, quick, light, in my eyes cant be beat. If you do it right and buy a light weight hang on paired with a light weight set of climbing sticks your can set up as fast as a climber plus go in trees that most wouldnt even think of. I bought a set of lone wolf sticks and a gorrila silverback scout.. They fit together nicely so packing in and out of the field is simple and not bulky. total weight 16.5 lbs which is as light if not lighter than most climbers plus its about the same price, or CHEAPER if you try to match the quality. I can have my climbing sticks set, my stand hung, and my bow up the tree in 5-7 min. and thats not even in a straight tree. i hunt public land up at school and my buddy has a climber and cant get in most trees, im seeing deer he isn't, so he is now using a old hang on from his house with screw in steps just to get into the "better" spots. I too wanted a climber but with my tree situation found it to be worthless owning one. just my .02 cents im sold on hang ons, spend the money on a nice set up and life is alot easier, its no different than buying a climber. heres a pic to show how the stand and sticks go together... GetAttachment32.jpg