• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

More Iceland Gull & Glaucous Gull

Borealhunter

The first two photos are images of the first year Iceland Gull and the last two images is the first year Glaucous Gull. Both species do not nest in the lower 48 instead they nest near the Hudson Bay. These gulls come into the Great Lakes in the late fall or early winter months. These photos were taken at WI Point looking out towards Minnesota Pt. I also spotted a Black-legged Kittiwake with my friend Peder. No photos were taken this ocean breeding gull dash up and down over the waves heading to Duluth.

Peder bought two garbage bags of discarded bread from a outlet store and we tossed the bread into the water and the gulls flew and rested near us for some great opportunites to photograph them.

IcelandGull8.jpg

IcelandGull6.jpg

GlaucousGull2.jpg

GlaucousGull3.jpg

Thanks all for the comments. WI Pt has about 3,000 gulls and during the mid afternoon many will roost on the breakwalls. Along the way we purchase for $2 a garbage bag of old bread and doughnuts. ( they sell them to pigs and other barn animals ) We than toss them in the water in chunks and the gulls come in hoards. We take turns, one will toss food and the other photograph and then vise versa.

Shawn: I called you today and you were out somewhere birding/photography and I need you cell #

So all in all its fairly easy getting these photos and today I nailed several Thayer's Gulls that were perched less than 10 feet from and others flying all around us. Will share these photos too.

Other bird news: So far THREE HAWK OWLS have been seen in NE Minnesota. 2 fly bys at Hawk Ridge and 1 along Lake CR 2 near Hwy 1. So it MIGHT be a good year for owls if they are all ready beginning to come down so early.

I'll be posting a google map of all locations for owls like I did last year very soon. The maps will be posted on my blog and I will share that link very soon when the maps are up.

Thanks again for your wonderful comments!!!

Mike