• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do I Really Need To Rake?

SkunkedAgain

That was my thinking, although I haven't had an actual lawn before. I know that there are some bad things that can happen if you don't rake, and that there are benefits to letting nature do its thing. The problem is that a lawn isn't natural, hence my question. When you add together the good and bad, is there overwhelming evidence to rake?

Are there any others out there like BobT that never rake their lawns?

Some of it comes down to courtesy of those around you.

If your neighbors rake, and your leaves blw into their yard, IMO that isn't the most neighborly thing to do.

What will eventually happen (depending on what type, how large, and how many trees) is the grass may get smothered.

If you don't really care, then leave be.

If your neighbors rake, and your leaves blw into their yard, IMO that isn't the most neighborly thing to do.

What will eventually happen (depending on what type, how large, and how many trees) is the grass may get smothered.

Isn't there some advantage in terms of protection from the elements by leaving the leaf mulch on the lawn? I guess, considering that my nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away, not raking isn't an issue to them around here. wink

For those that try to maintain a healthy lawn, letting leaves pile up on the lawn blocks sunlight, air and water to the turf and can smother the grass which can cause disease and insects to move in.

If you don't pick up the leaves, and you like your lawn to look good, you should try mulching the leaves before they get to thick.

Originally Posted By: LwnmwnMan2

Isn't there some advantage in terms of protection from the elements by leaving the leaf mulch on the lawn? I guess, considering that my nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away, not raking isn't an issue to them around here. wink

No, the exact opposite will happen. You won't get any protection from the elements. The elements will push the leaves down to soil level, smothering the grass and not allowing the grass to receive sunlight (grass's natural food source) or to grow.

Mulching is definitely the easiest, most logical, environmentally friendly way to go! Also, it provides nutrients to the soil ,doesn't change the PH, and will inhibit dandelion growth. Check todays Star and Tribune for the latest research on it.

Quote:
No, the exact opposite will happen. You won't get any protection from the elements. The elements will push the leaves down to soil level, smothering the grass and not allowing the grass to receive sunlight (grass's natural food source) or to grow.

Okay, I could see that if it is left forever. The leaves are on the ground just before freeze-up so the grass is basically done growing for the year. Next spring the lawn gets mowed and the leaves are shredded and decomposing and adding fertilizer to the top soil.

What you're saying is evident though when you enter a forest area devoid of grasses. The trees' leaves choke out the competition, which benefits the tree. But, on a lawn where we intervene with our mowers and baggers and such, is it really that much a problem?

If I lived in town and my neighbor chooses to rake his lawn but I choose not to, how does it make it my problem if nature blows leaves from my trees onto his lawn?

I guess that is your right to not clean up your yard. I'm exactly opposite. I don't worry about my neighbors lawn. For me my home reflects who I am and what I believe in. I take a lot of pride in my yard and my home. My yard and flower beds are always well tended, clean, cut and well used by the kids. I've lived in my home for 32 years and it is one of the most stable things for me and my family. We raised two sons who have turned into excellent young men who now have families and fine homes of their own. My grandkids look forward to coming to our house and enjoy my yard and my swimming pool like it was their own. A House is what you make it - mine is a HOME for my family.

Originally Posted By: BobT
If I lived in town and my neighbor chooses to rake his lawn but I choose not to, how does it make it my problem if nature blows leaves from my trees onto his lawn?

I guess that is your right to not clean up your yard. I'm exactly opposite. I don't worry about my neighbors lawn. For me my home reflects who I am and what I believe in. I take a lot of pride in my yard and my home. My yard and flower beds are always well tended, clean, cut and well used by the kids. I've lived in my home for 32 years and it is one of the most stable things for me and my family. We raised two sons who have turned into excellent young men who now have families and fine homes of their own. My grandkids look forward to coming to our house and enjoy my yard and my swimming pool like it was their own. A House is what you make it - mine is a HOME for my family.

Are you suggesting that I don’t have a HOME because I don’t rake my leaves? Personally, it’s a matter of opinion. I think that nature is beautiful in its own right. Leaves on the lawn are a nice change from the green of summer and I like fall color. Actually, autumn is my favorite season. I like the smell of the leaves as they are decaying. I like the crunch of leaves as I walk through the yard after they fall. I like the way they blow in the wind and my kids love to pile them up and jump around in them. I also enjoy being barefoot on the soft grasses of my freshly cut lawn during summer months. I also enjoy a thick blanket of fluffy, clean, white snow during the winter months. I’m sure there are plenty that would disagree but that’s their preference and maybe there are those that go to great lengths to keep the snow off their lawns too. Personally, I think my lawn is manicured quite well and I take pride in what it looks like as much as you do. I just take a little more time to enjoy the beauty that nature provides during all four seasons.

It'll also depend on what type of tree it is.

Maple and Ash trees will turn to dust fairly quickly.

An oak leaf will mulch into larger chunks, not breaking down as easily.

And yes, there are many neighbors that will be very upset if your leaves are in their yard.

You have no obligation to rake,.

As previously stated, it's not good for your lawn, or rather the grass itself to leave a thick matted carpet of wet rotting leaves on top of it. I've watched that guy Paul James on Gardening by the Yard on HGTV explain it a number of times. We basically live in a forest, so from the time the leaves start falling to the beginning of November or so, I mow over and mulch the leaves once a week and it chops them up pretty good as natural fertilizer for the lawn.