• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camp Ripley.... First timer help!!

Coach1310

Good day all. I will be participating in the Camp Ripley hunt for the first time this year. The 32 pointer shot on the previous hunt isn't helping my patience!!! Anywho, what do I need to know/what can I expect? My biggest concerns are:

1. Upsetting a fellow hunter by walking through when he is already set up... I have no issue with it happening to me, but being this is my first go round I don't have a "honey hole" I am going to I worry I will be upsetting other hunters when trying to get setup.

2. Dud Zones.... I assume they are clearly marked....just want to make sure I am following all the rules.

3. Roads... how bad are they? Are there places that are impassable or is it just rough going to some extent?

4. Retrieving shot game.... is it frowned upon to being searching after a reasonable amount of time even if it interferes with others hunts? Just hoping to avoid confrontation.

5. I'll take any words of wisdom I can get...no spots, just simple things to keep in mind, things to know etc.

Thanks for any and all help.....

I've been there for 6 years and this is what I have to offer.

1. Upsetting fellow hunters. It's bound to happen. They will just have to deal with it. If you see one in a tree just nod or turn and go past him or go the other way. What else can you do?

2. Dud Zones. There are signs that say: Danger, Impact area. Stay out of these areas. Buy one of the Camp Ripley topo maps from the food place there for $10. Very nice map.

3. Roads. If it is raing the roads will be terrible. Mud pits everywhere especially on the less traveled ones. Most are OK but there are some that really allow for one vehicle to get through and if you meet someone coming from the other way, well you will have to pull of in the woods somehow.

4. If you arrow one by all means go after it. People will understand that you are tracking your deer. Don't worry about confrontations just do what you do and hunt.

I have had most of my luck on the south side camp. Shoot me an e-mail and I can give you a couple areas to try.

[email protected]

I been up there now for 2 yrs.The best advice is find a spot that looks good to you. Don't expect to have a nice quite spot you will have people drive by or walk by . Itdoesn't pay to get upset. I had one guy show up and start setting up about 15 yards away he didn't even see me stand up in my tree.I thought he was going to walk thru but gave him a wave and then finally he notice. He was sorry and told him were i Knew were other people and gave a spot were I thought it might be clear for him to hunt.

The only other thing is to have a GPS which helps out alot to find your way to your truck in the morning and the spot were you are going to hunt the next day. And lastly have fun!!!!

Remember that ther are approximately 2499 other hunters out there in a tree besides yourself. All the new smells and people pushing deer around really changes things alot. There are places that may have more deer congregated (close to impact areas where they are safe) but really no place is better than another during these hunts. Having worked out there for numerous summers I would tell you to drive slow if it is wet/ rainy and use 4x4. You probably will hydroplane and get muddy just use common sence and you will be ok. Good Luck and let us know how it goes!!

Biff gave out alot of really good advice. This is what I'd add to his post.

1. Try to get into the line as early as you can so you can get setup early and ready. If not, once you get setup in a spot that you feel good about, stay put. Many of the deer I

have seen have been moved across a road or through the area because of other hunters moving around in/out of the woods. 10-2 I have seen alot of large deer moved by guys going to get a bite or warm up.

2. Bring your lunch/extra clothes/pee bottle/handwarmers and your best and most comfortable treestand. You want to sit all day and/or as long as you can tolerate.

3. If you shoot a deer go after it as soon after the shot as you feel comfortable, others have been known to take privledges.

4. Buy and use a topo map and know where you are going to hunt before you get there(cantina has them).

5. Enjoy the hunt, the nuances and nuisances that come with it and take notes for your next trip. Once you see some of the big old boys roaming there you will be Back!

Good luck and have a super hunt!

Tunrevir~

Use a GPS. It is very easy to get confused where you are at. We ran into a guy a few years ago and he had no idea where he was parked. We figured he was at least a mile or more from his truck.

The DUD areas and restricted are marked pretty good, but we did some 3 people hunting in one last weekend. It looked like they were doing a drive.

Find a thick area with some shooting lanes and sit all day if possible.

One guy in our party had a 10 pointer 15 yards away, but it was too thick to shoot him. He was bummed out.

Oh yeah, keep an eye out for bears. I have seen 2 of them up there.

Good luck and be safe!

Get a map and compass. If lost, there are plenty of side-roads that are on the map which you can easily walk to.

The main roads are easy to drive even when wet. Some of the small back roads are a real pain though. You can easily hunt from the main roads and just pull off in a good looking area. For your first time, maybe get some ideas from guys, but you'll just have to do some scouting during the mid-day and see what you can find.

The impact areas are well defined on the map and along the road. If you shoot a deer and it runs in, you cannot go for it, you need to find a warden (they drive around) and ask them to assist. If it isn't in sight, it might be a lost cause.

Good luck. smile

Good experienced info given already.

Three things to mention though:

I would not worry about getting in early if you have no idea where you're going. If you get a marked spot on a map or GPS coordinates you can do something with that but in the dark you'll pretty much be lost once you get in there.

Like was mentioned, look for something you like. You'll be able to fine tune it during your hunt.

Don't hunt too late. You need to be out by the time they tell you. You'll be a little frustrated feeling like you need to pull yourself out of the hunt at prime time but in my opinion you have more to gain by leaving early.

Our time to be out was 7:30pm. Counting back it took us 30 minutes to drive to/from our spot. If we just got out of the stands and met back at the truck and stowed the gear - another 30 minutes from drop down to drive off.

So you shoot a deer. How long does it take to track it, gut it, drag it and load it?

We agreed that 6:00 pm should be quitting time to stay within the rules of the camp.

Plus you'll get a better spot in line for the next morning if you're out earlier.

READ THE INFO THEY SENT YOU. Don't expect to come out midday and and put a second vehicle in line then go back to hunting. The line did not start forming until 5:30 pm.

And new this year is a $10 per vehicle access fee to help pay for road maintenance. Two years ago the repair costs were about $50k after the first hunt.

Good luck Coach - hope to see you in the paper!!!

And new this year is a $10 per vehicle access fee to help pay for road maintenance. Two years ago the repair costs were about $50k after the first hunt.

From the people I know the $10 was actually going more towards extra law enforcment that had to be called in for the lines of vehicles that congest all of the roads surrounding camp the day before.

First of all..... THANKS for all the good info. At least I have others experience and knowledge to know what to expect. Secondly.... since I have never been there and only have some areas I would like to try, does it really pay to get in line super early. Right now I am hedging on driving up in the morning and getting out there at first light. If I drive up in the morning, can I expect to get through the gate a roughly daybreak?? Any additional info is appreciated. Only 10 more days!!

If I drive up in the morning, can I expect to get through the gate a roughly daybreak?? Any additional info is appreciated. Only 10 more days!!

You got it Coach, you'll be rolling through just about the time you can start seeing things.

The only reason we've been trying to get in as early as possible is because we already know exactly what trees we want to be in.