• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big buck? What is your first plan of attack?

Kyle

So I have seen a couple nice bucks on my trail camera within the past couple months now. My area is suburban, and the deer basically just browse between woodlots and houses. The place my trail cam has been is no good in the morning due to the amount of deer in there at that time. The nicer bucks have been filmed during the nighttime hours, around 12am, and 545am. With the rut coming up, what is your first plan of attack/game plan on getting on these deer that you've just recently come to know, and more or less what are your methods for getting them to come in?

First thing is to call me and lets hunt together....Kidding.

Without knowing your area real good, I would say you are going to have to find some travel corridors and some funnel areas, unless these deer never leave the area you are talking. Try to find where the does are bedding and set up on those routes, like you said with the Rut upcoming, find the does and the bucks will be near.

Good luck, play the wind and stay still, you will get em.

Mark

My first plan would be to figure out his current travel routes. If you feel confident that you know them now I would set up accordingly to ambush him soon.

In a couple weeks he might be on the move more and will be harder to pattern as the rut nears.

I would not try and pattern the bucks, I would pattern the does. The bucks are not moving during daylight hours, they probably won't until the rut starts. Work on getting does in front of you the next two weeks, if you can do that, you will see the big guys eventually. This has worked very well for me in the past. Right now, I haven't seen a buck in a couple of weeks, its the October lull, in 10-14 days, it will explode around here with activity.

BTW, that would not be my first plan of attack, but it was I am doing now that those bucks are completely out of their summer feeding patterns. I am looking for places where the does are, when I find out where they are hanging out, I will get a stand in place soon.

I have been in this situation before and tried sitting early in the evening and try going real early in the mornings say 5am on a very low overcast day. Since you hunt in the cities use the light pollution to walk to your stand without a flash light and try not to jump the deer. If you do bump some I have found they don't blow out of the county as bad in the mornings versus day light hours. Trigger states it best find the does and the bucks will not be far.

mr