• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best rough water ride?

haleysgold

So, I'm looking for a new boat. I already know I want a glass boat this time. Question is, which one.

I've been in Warrior's and Yar-Craft and consider the rough water ride equal. Both of them are great rides.

Does anyone have an opinion about Skeeter and Ranger? Can I get the same rough water ride from either of these boats?

I've seen some decent prices on both lately but never ridden in either so I'm looking for some good advice as whether I can get a comparable, dry ride out of them. I'm assuming equal size boats here, 18' vs 18' and so on. It appears that these brands are not as deep as the 2 previously mentioned boats. Is that true?

Thanks in advance!!

Been in 17-18' Skeeter tiller and 617 Ranger single consoles and a 620 with full walk thru all impressed me in rough water. The bigger you go the smoother the ride seems to be but cost goes up as horsepower does to. My buddys 80 yammi on his skeeter will run longer on a tank of gas than the 620 does with the 225. Thats also a big thing to consider with going to bigger motors is they drink alot more gas. I'm looking to and thinking now to stay at or under a 150 just to save on gas, my buddys 617 with a 125 still runs out at over 40 with 2 of us and all our muskie gear. Fast enough for me.

I own a Ranger and have spent many hours in Skeeters and Tritons. I think it's safe to say you're going to get a good ride in any glass boat, as long as the guy driving the boat knows what he's doing. But even so, I think Ranger has the smoothest and best ride out there, and the most stable hull. They aren't the fastest hull but I think they're the smoothest.

It's going to take some terrible conditions before you start to notice differences. I'd guess that the vast majority of the time you won't be in condtions where you'd really notice a difference.

As perchjerker states you will get a good ride from almost any glass boat made today. I would be looking more at the layout of the boat and how it fit's your needs. I personally run a 2090 Warrior tiller because I like the wide open floor plan, deep transom and storage. But someone else might like the casting platform or the lower profile look of the Ranger better, etc. A boat is a very personal thing.

I have a 2095dcx Yar Craft 07

A few things to think about yar craft and ranger are the only

2 truely glass boats (i think ranger is) I know yar craft is no wood to rot mine has snap in carpart i toook it out and will never put it back in I can throw a bucket of warm water on the floor scrub it down it looks like new no dirty carpet that takes a day or so to dry

i was at the factory saw how these boats are made this boat will long out last me not sure if you are lookin new or used but new they stand behind there boats

i looked prety hard the winter before i bought all shows lots of dealers etc etc i found yar craft to have the most storage

granted my boat is a 2095 but the storage up front i could put some kids in them lol

lots of rod storage i think i have over 15 rods on my boat and not one laying out on the floor

i spose i sound alittle bias but like i said i looked pretty

hard before speding over 35k and i'm happy

i personally never looked at warrior back in the day when i was fishing touraments they were just coming to be and they busted alot of hulls and transom and i'm not talkin hear say i saw it

and warrior never stood behing any of it and has reputation for not backing their boats so it just left a bad taste in my mouth i looked at skeeter and ranger and the new lund which in bascially a triton the hull is made my them any way and where really out of line price ways to

not sure if you said tiller or wheel boat but either i would look at yar craft the make excellent back trolling transom be sure you look at that

i don't know if it's possible, but search some of my previous posts when i was looking for the same boat. the guys here are extrememly helpful.

I ended up purchasing the glass Lund Tyee GL 186 and love it. rides great & we stay dry. spend most our time on gull or WFC.

i have the 175 verado w. smart craft gauges. rides best at 30+. gauges say i get about 8 gal/hr fuel consumption in the low 30's. she really sucks gas at WOT though. 18-19gph at 6500rpm around 52mph. motors quiet, we can chat while cruising w/o shouting. i don't understand why anyone would buy anything w/o a full windshield. given we have to stand in the summer to get a breeze, but it's nice on those cold nights like tonight when coming off the lake, or if it's raining. i looked at the reata 1850 too, but found a better deal on the Tyee 186.

oh, and i really love the bunk trailer. it's so easy to load as long as the landing is deep enough. if you can get the keel in the right groove, power on. easy as that.

Perchjerker was correct in that usually its the driver of the boat not the manufacturer that determines the driest and smoothest ride. As far as all glass, Triton was the first all glass boat and other boats followed. I really don't believe any glass boat has wood in it anymore. Thats the great thing about competition, it creates the best situation for all boats and buyers.I've personally owned Tritons, but have driven Skeeters, Rangers and Yarcraft and have rarely been disappointed in any of them.

As tr21 says they are all good anybody that owns whatever is going to tell theirs is the best

just the way it is

best is to look hard at floor plans and storage and if you are buying new color to so you look coooool...lol

cuz after all the talk on here its your money and alot of it specially if you are buying new you dont want 2nd thoughts

i had money down on a skeeter and changed my mind at the last minute went with the yar craft

and no 2nd thoughts in my mind i did the right thing and thats what counts

Also good to remember that whatever boat you decide to buy, it will sit in your garage for at least 6 months out of the year while you, "play boat." I also like the Yar-Craft and wonder where they are made. I know Warrior is made in Minnesota.

Also good to remember that whatever boat you decide to buy, it will sit in your garage for at least 6 months out of the year while you, "play boat." I also like the Yar-Craft and wonder where they are made. I know Warrior is made in Minnesota.

Yar Craft are made in WI

i'm not sure bout ranger tiller models

but i talked to a guy that had a wheel boat (ranger) with a kicker on it

he said backtrolling with it the kicker was alomost or underwater half the time on big water with big rollers

i think that storm hull might be the best for backtrolling

its the same hull tiller or wheel

yes they are made in wausau wis if you are over that stop in and see how they are built one at a time

and the strength that goes into them

you will but one for sure

Its been asked before but why the big emphasis on backtrolling?

Not knocking it as I have done it before, but why wouldn't you just use your bow mount trolling motor. Its much easier to control as well as easier to follow breaklines.

In some boats that have a high profile in the water backtrolling is the only way to be able to follow a break line and still go slow enough to catch fish in high winds. That was one of my concerns when I sold a Lund and bought a Ranger. It appeared as though you couldn't back troll in a Ranger, and it turned out to be true, but like I said before you don't need to back troll because at least in a ranger the bow mount doesn't get blown around in the wind. I got so used to back trolling that I used to do it all the time even when I didn't need too. I think many are like me and have concerns when they look at boat that can't back troll.

ya i can stay fairly well on a break with the bow buts its not real easy in big winds i fish winnie alot

i think my boat sits down in the water fairly good that why i can use the bow mount as long as i can but its not the same as a tiller i had a tiller for 20 yrs and use to fish mille lacs

and to be honest i think back trolling is more impoatant over there as it seems the fish hold alittle tighter as they do like on gull or even the cutfoot i think those are all backtroling lakes specially its big winds where the break all sudden go in another direction it just much easier to putt a long a break going backwards specially when you are rigging and jig and the vertical presentation i kinda of a spinner guy pull alot of so then i much prefer the bow mount

i dont think you can go wrong in yar craft trolling..ride wise

..staying dry...storage..and durability