• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pondering type of boat.....

mr d

I am pondering a boat purchase. Very confused with all the types and styles. I don't want to spend a ton either. I like to lindy rig. pull raps jig and some times bobber.

most lakes in my area are prarie type in the kandiyohi mn area. I like the comfort of the big cousoles. this time of yr too with winds and closing the wind shield and staying warm. However I like the control of the tiller but then you are eating the elements and trying to see past the crew. I talk to the old timers who burn charcole under the tiller arm to stay warm.. Is a side coucil the happy medium??? advise and feed back welcome thanks

Side counsils are like the red headed step child IMO.

If you want bette contol and fishability get a tiller, if you want warmth and comfort get a full council. In a side council you've have a steering wheel and none of the benefit of the windsheild, those little ones stop very little rain or spray.

For your area I'd recommend a tiller, something in the 17' range. You won't be out in too rough of conditions around there, get a boat that matches the conditions you see most, not the few times you'll be out in real nasty stuff.

Get a full windshield sport model with a kicker. That way you can be warm and cozy most of the time and use the kicker tiller for control. I think you can even link up your kicker to your steering wheel when desired if you want to slow troll behind the windshield.

I've got a side console and it works fine for me. I don't spend enough time on big water for a full windshield. I don't do a lot of precision fishing to justify a tiller boat or get a kicker.

i had a tiller for 20yrs switched to a wheel boat i was like a fish outa water at first but i have a kicker and bow mount

just took alittle adjusting you will never have as good as control in a wheel boat can come close and i'll take the comfort and being albe to see when running plus the windslield

is nice this time of the year mine is a full windshield

i fish big water most of the time so if i can get use to it

on smaller calmer water shouldnt be to big a deal

I fish walleye predominantly, jigging, lindy rigging and bobber. I fish bass with my son. I do most of my fishing on bigger lakes and would not even consider a boat unless it was a full console. If I were fishing a very small lake, I would be fine with a tiller-style boat. One thing that I've learned, after fishing for many years with a wheeled-boat equipped with a bow-mount trolling motor, is that I have tremendous boat control. Do guys with tillers have a slight advantage in some situations? Maybe. But I've fished with a lot of those guys, and I can tell you this: We catch as many fish when fishing out of my boat, that we do when fishing out of theirs. I don't feel like I'm giving away anything when fishing out of my boat. I know one other thing: Full console boats are warmer and dryer than the other boats, and being wet and cold takes away from the "fun-factor" in my world. Good luck.

I got a steering wheel in a 16' boat and i catch fish. The one thing that would make a console easier to fish out of is a good trolling motor (bow mount). I think it makes controlling a boat of this type easier when jigging and rigging. I guess you'll get used to fishing what ever way you go, so you might as well be warm.

a tiller is great for control. for comfort. not so much. i run a tiller that goes 35. at full bore in a driving rain it is downright painful. its all up to you. the windshield is great. i fish with my buddy who has a full glass shield. his is hands down more comfortable in the cold. thing is. the'yre all cold when the air is cold. you have to look at how far you often run like was said. if your average run is a couple of miles your probably ok with a tiller. if you run 10 miles in 49 degree weather quite often a windshield will be awesome. depends on how and where you fish.

thanks for the great feed back...Time to save some cash-ola...and do some shopping. I too fish thru the icy elements and i/m not getting any younger..comfort gives a warm fuzzy already ")

I see some great top options too

I am pondering a boat purchase. Very confused with all the types and styles. I don't want to spend a ton either. I like to lindy rig. pull raps jig and some times bobber.

most lakes in my area are prarie type in the kandiyohi mn area. I like the comfort of the big cousoles. this time of yr too with winds and closing the wind shield and staying warm. However I like the control of the tiller but then you are eating the elements and trying to see past the crew. I talk to the old timers who burn charcole under the tiller arm to stay warm.. Is a side coucil the happy medium??? advise and feed back welcome thanks

can anyone elaborate on this? ive never heard of it... wouldnt that be right near the gas tank? im interested b/c i have a tiller and if i could find a way to get some additional heat on board, that would be awesome.

yeah. burning anything on a boat would scare me. i wear my ice armor when it gets cold. waterproof and windproof. also get a neoprene face mask and some ski goggles. or spring for a helmet or save phace mask. burning coals on a boat sounds more dangerous than its worth.

That's what the guy told me. "back in the old days" heck you can get zone heated jackets now too. A little battery pack and they keep "the core warm" Now granted the ole timmer could have had a warm lunch any time smile