• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Using a Decoy

vister

just curious who knows some info about using deer decoys.

when is it too early to start using one

when should i use buck vs doe

what kinda scents should i use with it

i am more or less looking for info from those who have actually had luck, whether good or bad, to post some of their stories and thoughts. please, no stories or tips from magazines, movies, or whitetail know-it-alls, as i can read and watch them too!!

I am not a bowhunter but have had good success during slug season with decoys. I have put two decoy's up close to 10 years now and have had numerous deer come in and take a look. I suppose some have been scared away too, but if they have I have never seen them. I have watched deer come from 300+ yards and walk down a trail looking at the decoy the whole time. I use a buck and a doe decoy and put them both out.

not an issue. ive got 14 different bucks cruising the woods i hunt, all on camera, and since opener, have seen all of them. two absolute beauties, haven't come into range, hence, asking around about decoys.

Decoys can work. They are like any other tool in the deer woods (scents, grunt calls, rattling, etc.) If you use them in the right situation they can be dynamite. It sounds like you havve a potentially promising decoy situation. If you are already using scents and calls a decoy adds another facet to your gameplan. Think about it, if a deer smells another deer, and hears another deer, they are going to want to see that other "deer" eventually or they will get wary. I would start utilizing a decoy in the prerut stage and right though the rut/breeding stage. Essentially from mid October through November a decoy can work. Be sure to set up in an area where the decoy is easily visible from a distance to approaching deer. Suddenly coming upon a decoy will spook deer in many occaisions. You are looking to arouse the deers senses (whether aggression or social curiosity) and in order to do so you need the deer to approach the decoy, not the decoy to suprise the deer.

Finally, when using a decoy, you need to remember that you are hunting the dominant bucks in the area and that small bucks and does may shy away or be spooked more easily by the decoy.

There are all kinds of tricks that you can imploy once you've dedicated yourself to decoying (such as positioning for the ideal shot opportunity, removing an antler from the decoy, etc.)

The success I have had with a decoy was when the bruiser came in and destroyed the decoy. Fun to watch them get in position, and BAAM, there the decoy fly's. Never got the shot off, it happened so quick. That was my fault in the position that I put the decoy in. The quartering toward you is a really good idea. If I would have known that then, I might have gotten a shot.

When I've used a decoy the deer didn't like that the tail doesn't move. They flick theirs back and forth horizontaly and are looking for the same reaction back saying everyone is friendly. When the decoy does nothing it is like a red flag to them and they go on high alert.

i've heard of guys tieing a white rag where the tail is and that helps out a bit sense it gives motion and an "all clear" type of signal when it flutters side to side. that way if you want to add scents you can just put it on the rag. Also if you use a buck decoy take one side of the antlers off. A buck will approach from the side that does not have horns. just an idea that i've heard and guys clam it works, take it or leave it as you may. Personally i haven't used a decoy much tried it this past weekend. As we were walking into our spot in the pitch dark we got to my stand and there was a deer under it, which we couldnt see, and we walked (me and the gf) within 10 yards and it blew at us once and only ran 5 yards and just stood there. I had the decoy infront of me and wether or not it was confused and thought we were a deer i dont know. couldnt have hurt so i may try using it again this week to see if it will bring something in.

usually bucks will always circle downwind of the decoy and approach from the front. Make sure you are very particular about scent control when using a decoy, rubber gloves and scent kill. I have a Carrylite decoy that can be a buck or a doe and a bedding version, they both have had their time and place. Google "deer decoy tactics" or something like that and you will find some good info and videos.

i used my 3d target as a decoy last year.i placed it in an older clearcut where aspen saplings failed to grow. took one side of the antlers off but didnt use anything for a "tail". no scents or any calling or anything else. i had a 8 pt come in 20 yards from it and just look at it. it looked confused about it. my first shot went right over his back, but he ran 10 yards and then came back to were he was before, all the while looking at the decoy. the second shot was right on. this was the first time using a decoy and looking back i shouldve used a "tail" and maybe some buck scent. but it got me a second chance on a deer and thats ok with me

I use a large White Feather for my tail motion. You can grab them at any fly tying accessory shop. It takes almost no wind to make the feather move as opposed to other things like white rags.

I use a Carrylite Buck/Doe w/ removable antlers.