• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

driving through ice?

broken_line

TRY NOT TO TILT YOUR ENGINE OUT OF THE WATER IT MAY FREEZE UP!

BRING A CELL PHONE AND PUT IT IN A ZIP LOCK BAG OR WATER PROOF CONTAINER IN YOUR POCKET WHILE TRAVELING ACROSS ICE YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN THING CAN TURN SOUTH. AND FOR GOD SAKES DON'T OVER LOAD THE FRONT OF YOUR BOAT W DECOYS!

I've broke up to an inch or so with my mod vee flat bottom and I try to ride the front end up on the thicker stuff to put weight on the the ice and not try and blast thru it. much like the real ice breakers do. also please wear a life jacket when the waters that cold and there is ice covering those areas things can happen and the last thing we need to here is that someone from this forum died. Be safe and carfull

Being an avid duck hunter I have broken a lot of ice with my Jon boat. It has rivets and none of them have ever been cut off by the ice. The one thing that I learned is that if the ice is thick in the morning and you are having a hard time getting through it, it will be even thicker in the afternoon if the temp is low enough. (Only did that once I am not a slow learner!) Comming back in that day there were times when the boat was on the ice and we were jumping in it to break the ice. Bring the spud along from your ice fishing equip... it can help a lot! Always be careful out there in/on ice. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

been doin it for years, I have been able to walk on the ice and still break thru with the boat. 2"- 2.5" ice gets a lil tricky but is do able just dont blast thru it creaping thru is key. were a life jacket and break it trough out the day. when the chunks start to freeze things get real hairy. I hunted last year in open water for the entire season I may have broke ice to get to the open water but there was ice for the last week or so on every lake. scouting to find open water pays off big time trust me... PB290052.jpg