• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nutrition for hunts?

Hubcat

I carry a ziplock bag with me sandwich size and a bottle of water or two in my vest. The dog will drink out of the bag willingly and its light weight and effective way to keep a dog hydrated. I also feed him some chocolate such as little snickers bars or other small chocolate bar. These 2 things help me out a lot hope you can benefit from them. And keep an eye on his feet once a dogs feet are sore your hunt with a dog is over.

I feed them like I normally do. Once in the morning and once at night. I carry water at all times. I would rather have them drink the water they are used to than some out of a swamp. Interesting on the snickers, chocolate is supposed to be harmful to dogs. I think it is hard on their kidneys. Not judging, just pointing out what I have read. I know I have had dogs eat chocolate with no effects.

Water. Occasionally I'll give nutrical during the hunt. Generally just dry feed and I'll put excess in the bowl. If they don't eat I'll mix in moist dog food or cat food which usually will get them going. Another thing to try is dark karo syrup on the dog food. Karo helps replace glycogen in the muscle. Karo is an old field trialer trick.

As for chocolate it's the dark chocolate and cocoa that you really want to stay away from. Milk chocolate generally isn't going to do much.

I feed my dog as usual. He feeds in the evening. I also give him lots of water and break often when it's hot out. Be careful of feeding your dog too much before a hunt. They use energy to digest food and create heat as their bowles digets food. In the early season feeding them and then exerting them in hot weather can actually make them overheat quicker. I have read that chocolate can kill a dog if eaten in large enough quantities. Some breeds may be more susceptible than but I'm not willing to try it.

I give my dog a pouch of cheap, moist dog food (the kind with "gravy") from Walmart whenever we take our midday break.

In the morning he gets about half his normal dry food, the rest of which is then added to his normal evening ration.

And, of course, water water water.

The night before upland hunting I put two over easy eggs over his food for the extra protein. He likes it and my breeder suggested it to help keep the lbs on and build muscle/recover his muscles during the hunting season. I started it last year and it did seem to help a bit. I also will carry a package of Top dog energy sticks that are great for a days hunt. Of course water!

If it is a one-off hunt, like a trial, I will feed pasta at the evening meal for a couple of days prior to hunting, instead of his usual fare. I add home-canned chicken and broth to get plenty of liquid in him, and will carry some jars of broth with a little meat in it with me if I am hunting away from home. My dog can be finicky about drinking- he likes to hold off and then suck down large quantities at one time, when I would prefer that he drink more frequently. He will often take the broth when he would refuse plain water.

If we are hunting hard, like every day, at home, I feed lots of meat for easy-to-digest protein and oatmeal, rice, pasta, or potatoes for carbs. I never feed within a few hours of hunting, which means we usually skip breakfast, then feed a light meal after the morning hunt, then feeding a bigger meal following the afternoon hunt.

I did once have a puppy overheat a little at a trial, and I now keep Pedialyte and Gatorade on hand, just in case. I'm still trying to teach my dog to drink from a squeeze bottle, but so far he hasn't shown much interest- that would be handy to take out into the field.

Thanks for the response. I just think I should be giving my dog (Nest) some nutrition during the hunt to keep her energy up. I might have to check into the Top gun energy sticks. I also will try some of the prehunt ideas.

Thanks again

1.5 the night before the hunt, half the morning of, 1.5 the night after for recovery. If you are feeding high quality, high protein food, your dog shouldn't need anything else other than lots of water. Often if a dog gets lethargic or slows down, its because they are dehydrated, or not properly conditioned, not because they are hungry. They don't need to eat nearly as often as we do.

Personally I keep all chocolate away from the dog. Not sure why you would want your dog processing something toxic (even in small amounts) while they are exerting themselves is beyond me.

Never said I give my dogs chocolate....just that small amounts would not be an issue and that I know of people that do. Gasoline on the other hand would be an issue given in the same volumes (I did read the sarcasm!).

I do not feed energy bars and would be interested in knowing how fast those things actually metabolize and get used by the body. It takes energy to process foods.

Anyways....proper feed and nutrition (high protein to a working dog), along with being properly conditioned should have a dog well on it's way. I feed the same as CJH..... 1/2 normal rations in the morning 2-3 hours before the hunt, 1 1/2 after the hunt.

Wasn't referring to you specifically.

Otherwise I think we are on the same track.

Also, I bring one of those collapse-able bowls and always keep that filled with water by the truck. I carry a water bottle around as well, but he doesn't like to stop for water in the field. He tends to drink alot more out of the bowl than in the field.

I typically feed my dogs twice a day, but when I hunt them I don't feed them in the morning before the hunt. A dog running hard on a full belly is more susceptibe to gastric torsion (the stomach flipping over on itself...it requires surgery to repair) and like already mentioned digesting food draws the blood supply to the intestines and robs the muscles of peak performance. I just feed their standard daily food allowance all at night. I like to put two cups of warm water in with the food. The dogs think it's some sort of treat and it forces them to re-hydrate. I've got karo syrup in my dog bag as it's a good remedy to hypoglycemia

Athletes in competition are supposed to stay away from high sugar candy such as chocolate. Too big of an energy push then crash.

I would recommend staying with a normal feeding schedule with the same food. Maybe up quantity to get body fueled. If activity is really high you may need to switch foods.

Regarding snacks, try premium high protein / high fat biscuits (there are a few out there). Cost more than the lower end snacks, but on a weight basis no more costly then candy. Our dogs get these occassionally - especially when we are going to take a lunch break or early afternoon rest.

Try carry water and/or provide water at every return to the truck.

One thing you do not hear about is rest. Make sure your dog is comfortable at night and sleeps...