• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thoughts on up and coming season

archerystud

It will be an interesting season with a new coach but I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are for the Wild to make the playoffs. Here are my thoughts:

PMB - needs to put up much better offensive numbers

Sheppard has to find some offense and show that he was untradeable by DR standards. 24 pts and a -14 doesn't cut it.

One or two of the other new guys needs to become an effective scorer. Gillies, Clutterbuck, Pouliot. I liked Pouliot's skills it seemed like he was always in Lemaire's dog house.

I'd also like Johnsson to put up more points as a Dman since he is getting almost 4.85 mil/year.

I think players like Koivu and Burns will put up great numbers if they don't get hurt. However, I don't think the team can rely on Nolan and Burnette putting up great numbers forever. Those two were 2 of the top 4 scorers last year and are getting a bit long in the tooth.

Thoughts?

I pretty much agree with everything you said. Gillies could use some time in Houston and so could Sheppard if he starts out anything like last year. Hopefully it was that sophmore slump and he will start to show some potential this season.

Johnsson is a good defenceman but we overpaid him, I wouldn't mind having him back after his contract expires but its got to be for less $$$.

Totally agree with your assessment on Johnsson. When DR picked him up I think they were looking for more offensive numbers with that price tag.

I suppose Havlatt will be an improvement over Gabby's year last year but they still need more offense. I'm afraid the Wild will spend the season figuring out what they have with some of the younger guys and make a push to retool the roster next year. Can't blame Fletcher though. Not much in the minors and not much for draft picks doesn't leave him a lot to work with.

I agree with you that they will spend the season looking at who works and who doesn't. Then make a push next offseason to bring in more talent. Last year was frustrating because I expected them to at least get into the playoffs, if not for Mary being hurt again. Even if they don't make the playoffs this year, it will be less frustrating for me.

This season could go any direction, which makes it very exciting for me. I am alittle fustrated with the lack offense. Too many average players. Nolan and Brunno our aging. I am very excited to see what the wild bring to the table this season. I have a feeling they might fall short getting into the playoffs, but I will watch every game!!

The way our team sits right now, we are in for a repeat season of last year unless we have some of the younger guys stepping up.

Butch needs to step up and earn what he is getting paid. He needs to be more aggressive instead of shying away from corners and for gods sake SHOOT THE PUCK once in a while.

Koivu will remain solid. Burns will HOPEFULLY be healthy and get back to where he was in the 07-08 season. He was on fire and getting better by the game but last year was a disappointment. I do have faith in him though.

Johnsson is a bit overpaid, but he is by far our most solid d-man and he keeps this team a step ahead in that department.

Havlat adds a nice piece to our offense, but may not be enough at this point.

Shep needs to step it up and if not he needs time in the minors.

Bruno and Nolan need to continue chipping in and did great in my opinion last year and were the main reason that team even came close to the playoffs last season. The leadership they bring along with their offensive ability is much needed.

Belanger and Miettinen need to step up slightly and hold down the third line. Belanger is becoming obsolete and I know he has the ability to be a quality center and brings that defensive security to the checking line.

Clutterbuck should continue to be out working his behind off to prove that last season was not a fluke. He knows that he earned a spot on the team last year but now it's time for him to prove he is here to stay.

Backstrom will remain solid as usual. We are lucky we have one of the top goalies in this league. He is paid a lot of money now with his new contract, but I believe he is worth it because having an outstanding goaltender in this league is absolutely necessary.

With all that said, Fletcher's system will either be a big step needed or a total bust. This Wild team has been very solid since it's conception only because JL played a tight defensive style and made an average team into a playoff contender. We will see if the guys will adapt to a new system and still continue to have one of the best defenses in the NHL. If we don't have the offensive ability to play a new offensive style then it's pretty much worthless.

I'm hoping that the change of pace is what our younger guys need. Shep was worthless last year. Hopefully a more offensive style will give him the freedom to use some of the talent we keep hearing he has.

I have to pretty much agree MinnesotaWild, however I think we will be a slightly better team then last year on paper simply because we should have a healthy Havlat vs a injured Garorik. However this we coach/system is going to be a big time wild card so I wouldn't be suprised if we win the division or if we are picking top 5 in the draft.

The thing with Havlat is he is just as injury prone as Gaborik has been. Look at his career stats and you will be suprised how many games he has missed due to injury. Hopefully though you will be right and he will be healthy and if so it will give us an edge over last year. However, this new system could completely fail and destroy everything this team has worked for.

Gaborik played more games in the last 4 years than Halvat. So I'm very hopefull for Havlat, but wouldn't be surprised to see him off ice as much as Gabby was.

I think that it will be very hard to predict what kind of team we will have this year. New coach, new system, new GM, new star player, couple of new blue liners. About the only thing that has remained constant is goaltending, and that may change also.

It will be fun to see what we have when the season starts.