• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mille Lacs Smallies

Juan Grande

About 90% of the smallies I catch out there are 17-20 inches. I either catch big ones, or don't catch anything.

This only holds true early in the year. There are a lot of smaller fish in the lake. The numbers make for a fun trip even if the size isn't there. Don't get me wrong, the big girls are still around and there's always a chance of hooking up. But you WILL catch more smaller fish this time of the year.

Craigums,

Don't forget to bring some cranks along

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually just stick the jighead indside the tube and have an exposed hook. You may get hung up more, but as long of casts as you typically need to make on that lake and lighter line, a burried hook on a long cast can make for poor hookups. With the rocks you also need to make sure you watch the hook point and line. Stay with as light of a head as you can so it won't burry in rocks too much.

You may get hung up more, but as long of casts as you typically need to make on that lake and lighter line, a burried hook on a long cast can make for poor hookups. With the rocks you also need to make sure you watch the hook point and line. Stay with as light of a head as you can so it won't burry in rocks too much.

great points.

I use a money jig from outkast. Many others will work, but you need to make sure it has a long enough hook shank and the eye has to come out far enough that it will stick out of the tube once its inside.

I like the inner tube jig from Northland... Another tip for fishing a tube in the rocks is to penetrate the eye of the hook lower on the tubes body, by doing this it creates a soft, flexible head on the lure making it less prone to get wedged in the rocks.

I have had great success with an off-the-wall technique that isn't too popular. In-Fish has done a couple shows on it, and boy does it work. Put either a casting bubble or, my personal favorite, a rattling crappie popping bubble and tie on a light jig head. A hookless popper works well too. Slap on a wacky rigged senko, and adjust the depth for the particular reef your fishing. Its dynamite this time of year when they can be tough. You do get a few that will hammer the bubble, but what do you do. In WI I leave a treble on the popper and you have the best of both worlds! Its a heavy enough rig to cast into the wind, and it still has the finess of a wacky rig. Its a bit odd getting used to it, but cast it out as if its a carolina rig, with a long sweeping cast. Give it a shot if you haven't, and I would be willing to bet you will be impressed. Good luck!

heading up to mille lacs tomorrow...i always launch out of isle bay, pretty much have only fished the south east part of the lake for smallies...anyone have any better places i should launch..im not real familiar with the lake

This won't do you much good unless you check FM from a cell phone or something. But anyway... I have done good from Garrison down the west side to the south end and most of the way up the east side. Watch the wind and decide from there. Most of the public launches are very good.

You can pick a few off with cranks but it's far enough into the season that some fish will need some coaxing. For a lake that recieves such rediculous pressure it's hard to believe the drop shot hasn't been brought up lately. Al has had a few episodes this year on ML and briefed a few tactics. They will work. If all else fails you can go to a bobber and a leech wink

was up on mille lacs this past weekend. was only able to fish thursday night and friday...saturday was way too windy. Me and two other guys were out there and we could barely buy a bite. We caught about 5 fish total and nothing was big. We threw everything at them. Was pretty much just fished out of isle bay. I dont know if i was in the wrong place but it was the toughest weekend on mille lacs i have had. im headin up again this weekend so hopefully things are a little better. Was anyone else up there this past weekend?

was up on mille lacs again this past saturday. I dont know if its just me but the bite has just been terrible. I caught a couple of dinks and had a nice one over 3lbs break me off at the boat. has anyone had any success up there in the past 2 weeks?