• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

frozen motor help

kotadust

I have just acquired a older seaking 9.6 Hp motor ......that I have now found out is unfortunately froze up ......does anyone have any suggestions as to any way I could get this broke free with out totally dismantling the motor and having to do a total rebuild ....so far I have tried soaking with jb-80 .....marvel mystery oil, and pb blast poured or sprayed in to the cylinder thru the plug holes unfortunately my tools are currently very limited (entire garage was ripped off and currently fighting with insurance over it)(what I would give to have my impacts guns and compressor back right now lol)

Any way any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance

lol if I had a half a dime to my name to spare that would be an option .......unfortunatly right now its not and I am just trying what ever I can to get somthing put together to get my kids out on some open water this year hoping the insurance thing gets worked out in time (then I could afford to get a better and running boat lol)but I am not counting on them being as fast as I would like getting it done lol

Try a little coke pop in each cylinder on top of each piston. I have seen it loosen up what marvel mystery oil would not.

If it does not loosen up after a day or two, put a bit more in and let it sit for a week. My father inlaw has an older tractor that he restored and it has sat for 22 years and a couple cylinders were tight or froze up. Coke in there after two weeks and they came free with a little taping with a rubber hammer on top of the piston.

I could not believe that the coke freed it up. After seeing that, I did not know if I wanted to put that stuff in my stomach any longer.

The wood dowel in the plug hole was what I was going to suggest also. Try putting in Neutral so your not trying to push the gears along with the piston. Just give it light but sharp tapes, don't keep pounding on it if it doesn't move. One motor I had I though it was the piston, but it was the lower unit that was stuck. So make sure your prop is turning also. Good luck!

unfortunately the wood dowel thing wont work on this motor as the plug holes sit at a 90 degree angle to the pistons direction of travel(sucks cause I really don't have any way of much direct force to them) so unless I pull the head (which I am desperately trying to avoid because i just don't have the tools right now to get things back together properly eg torque)I am stuck trying to get it to turn from the nut. And it is definitely the power head I can see it(the nasty reddish color ya know arggg) on the rings of one of the pistons when I took the fuel pump off(was checking the diaphragm to begin with as I was told it was just not getting fuel)the person who I got it from had replaced the ignition components already cause it had no spark when he got it so I am sure that the last time he had tried anything with it it must not have been froze up yet..... need to get a hold of him to see just how long ago that was so I can get some idea of just how bad things may be inside there lol

thanks to all for all the help and sugestions so far and I am always open to hearing more ideas lol

oh yea with the coke thing how long should I leave it in there before I try and get it to break

the key ingredient in coke is phosphoic acid. I would personally just try some of that straight out of the bottle and let it sit 24 hours and then flush with water. important that you get any oil out of cylinders first as it will repel the acid.

well got it to break free now and is turning over good got it to fire a couple times while i was spraying some carb cleaner into it but don't seem to be getting any fuel to the cylinders took carb off and cleaned it out had fuel in the bowl so .....but still nothing in the cylinders arggggg

once again thanks for all the help to all