• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Finishing Basement

schmoe147

That will be hard to answer. Before we start what about receptacles, lighting, phone jacks, TV, computer, bracing for interior walls in the future, insulation, closets, windows, duct work for heating and return vents, or additional heating, ceiling, plumbing, adding a bathroom in the future along with plumbing, ventilation. Some of those things can be roughed in now, that'll save time, a mess and a cash in the future.

Are you doing this work yourself or getting bids?

I am working on a similar project and have gotten materials prices from Menards and a spray foam contractor. I contacted the city and got some ideas on what they woud require to meet the code. You need a minimum of R10 according to the code folks.

A spray foam comany quoted $1.90 a square foot for R14 or 2 inches of foam. The pink polywhatever stuff is $19.74 a sheet for R10. The spray foam guy said there is an issue of permiability and that code requires that it be less than 1 and his quote was a .8. I assume that means that the 2 inch pink foam doesn't get below 1 but I'm not sure. The spray foam guy said to build the walls with a 1 inch space from the block, do the plumbing and wiring and the have him foam it, and then put up the rock. Of course the spray foam cuts down on time so if you're hiring out anything you have to figure in that savings as well.

Using some really rough numbers the pink foam would cost about $500 vs $1550 for the spray, studs and treated for the plates would run about $225 and the rock would be about $225 for the 103 linear feet of outside wall we are working with. I suspect the savings on the labor if spray foam was used would be maybe $300.

I haven't done anything to figure out the ceiling yet. Suspended vs rocked, painted rock vs sprayed. Lots to think about concerning future access, cost to repair when water starts to come through 4 years from now, stuff like that.

The choices you make for doors will make a huge difference. A cheap mahogany door was only $40 and a 6 panel solid oak door was $140. Lighting choices are really variable. The wire, boxes, switches and outlets can be calculated with some accuracy - get the prices and do a layout and work the numbers.

It only took me an hour or so to go to the big box and price materials and then not much work to crunch a few numbers. I added 15% to each calculation just because you can't cut it that close.

There also is the flooring. There is a chipboard product with a plastic web on the bottom so moisture isn't an issue but it cost $6.78 for a 2' x 2' panel or over $50 for a 4x8 area. There was also a 4X8 sheet of some chipboard that was shown to be an underlayment and it was only $19 a sheet. I don't know what the differences are or what the code says but obviously the price difference is huge.

You can do this yourself using suppliers in your area. You probably should also get some bids from contractors to see how it works out that way. Lots of things to consider before you spend any money or buy anything.

Good luck.

One thing that is very important is to not skip out on a good, quality drywall contractor. It is possible you could hang the rock yourself, but if your not a taper or a sprayer or a sander you will never get your walls and ceilings to look right, forcing you to stare at disgusting walls every time you are down there.

One thing that is very important is to not skip out on a good, quality drywall contractor. It is possible you could hang the rock yourself, but if your not a taper or a sprayer or a sander you will never get your walls and ceilings to look right, forcing you to stare at disgusting walls every time you are down there.

Here here, great advice. smile

As mentioned earlier the spray foam contractor talked about a code requirement on permiablity and stressed that his product met the code. I don't know if the 2 inch pink foam meets this requirement or not. Anyone know if it does, and what that is all about?

Originally Posted By: DREZLER

Here here, great advice. smile

Yep, learned this the hard way! It just takes a little longer to get it looking right.