Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MN Shutterbug

My first Crossbill

10 posts in this topic

I had never seen one before, let alone photographed one. Birdsong was kind enough to let me know there was one at her feeder this morning. The little piggy just gorged herself on sunflower seeds, then took off. So I waited. Luckily, when I was just about to give up, it returned. However, it just didn't want to quit eating, so I waited and waited. It finally flew into the tree and I got a shot, albeit not a great shot, but at least a shot of my first Crossbill. Whoo hoo. Of course, I had to get a couple shots of Gold Finches.

3431053339_0e14dd8c1d_o.jpg

3431053221_e9224859c7_o.jpg

3433588788_7333ff1323_o.jpg

Nice Mike!....that first image does it for me!...I haven't had the opportunity to see many crossbills this winter....only a couple....

Nice, Mike. She is a tough one to get on anything but a feeder. She has been here most of the day. I bleached the pond today and she just kept on eating. I went to buy a new pump, and when I first plugged it in, she flew right over, then realized I was there. Left a minute ago to check, and she was on the rocks enjoying the fountain. Not long enough for me to get the camera, though. Hope you don't mind if I piggyback my best shot on your thread. 3431948358_c44fc8763c_o.jpg

This is what it looks like at my house when X-T is shooting photos. Only the little one on the right is mine.

Congrats on the crossbill, you got a really nice catchlight in the bird's eye! Sweet species and a very nice image.