Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tip Up Rookie

New Boat Radio

13 posts in this topic

I am looking to finally upgrade the radio in my boat this year. The one that I have has trouble pulling in radio stations and after 4 years of messing with the dials its time for a swap. I am looking for just a basic radio/CD player.

Does anyone have any recomendations?

My wife picked me up a sony marine grade radio for my birthday last year. Its nicer that any of the radio's I have ever had in any of my cars!

Hey Tip-up-

I have a satalite radio fm modulator in my boat. It sends the satalite radio signal to the fm radio already in my boat. I personally love it. I can listen to whatever I want and it never fades in and out.

Con: You have to pay for the sat. radio subscription.

Pros: I can move the fm modulator from my boat, to my pickup, to the fish house, etc. I listen to it a lot more than I thought I would.

Just a thought.

i picked up a Jensen from gander last year, thus far it works great.

Thanks for the ideas guys! I never thought of the satelite radio, Im gonna look into it.

I put a standard car stereo in mine with marine speakers. Key is to get a marine cover for the stereo.

Sandmannd, do you store your boat inside? I would think the humidity would cause problems.

Is the marine cover, that annoying sliding plastic piece? cuz i have that... hmm one more option to consider. Thanks for the idea

Nope, don't store it inside. It's been in my boat for two years, going on the third summer and have had no issues.

That sliding piece of plastic sure is a PITA! Always falling back into the console, etc. Oh well, it protects the radio.

The way to go is Siriu or XM with cigarette lighter to power will send a perfect signal to any station near 88.1 f.m. you'll love the talk music and sports. Should only set you back 80 dollars if you order through their web site and it cost $14 a month only and as I read earlier and as I do it I'll take it out out of my Mustang and put it on my 16 foot Fisher bass boat.

I use my Delphi satellite radio in my boat quite often. I just move it from my truck to the boat, so I dont have to have a subscription to the boat radio.

I also would suggest getting weather band radio capabilities. I use mine all the time. First thing in the morning, I turn on the weather band and listen to the days forecast. When they are predicting impending weather, I turn it on in the boat often.

If you don't want to have a cover for your radio, Sony makes some marine stereos now that are UV, salt, and water proof: CDX-HS70MW and CDX-H910UI. Not too expensive if you look around. I just added the HS70MW to my boat this spring.

Go to wally world and pickup the cheapest radio you can find, shouldn't be more than 50bucks and hook it up under the console. Heck I might even have a few laying around if you don't care if the cd works!