• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bowmount Location

Ralph Wiggum

The motor should pull from as close of a center line of the boat as possible. Strictly a personal preference on which side the motor lies down when stowed. Most are on the port. Most pre-made boat covers have reinforcements sewn in on the port side to prevent wear.

Yeah, I have normally seen them on the port, too. My boat has evidence of one being on each side at some points in it's career. I think the holes in the boat will line up with the new bracket if I have it lay on the starboard side when stowed. Just wanted to see if there was a reason not to.

The main thing that I can think of would be to put the motor on the side where it will be the least likely to be in the way when it is stowed. Generally when you dock, do you dock on the starboard or port side? If starboard then put the shaft of the motor (stowed position) along the port side because you wont have to step over it and the motor head is less likely to get damaged by the dock.

I've had them on both sides of my boats and I don't really have a preference and haven't had any problems either way. I think whereever it fits best ----- so it doesn't interfer with your bow lights or cleats or antennas or bow electronics, etc. --- is the best place to put them. One nice thing about having them on the port side when stowed is that they are less likely to interfer with your line of sight when driving......

Mine is mounted stbd side. I like it there. When we drift or are at anchor I like to fish off the port side. That way the console isn't in my way. The trolling motor doesn't interfer with my vision while driving.

Personal preferance.

One thing to remember, make sure you mount it so that if it accidentally gets turned on while stowed, it doesn't whack the junk out of your hull. This has happened to me, props are expensive.

Impatience got the better of me. I just mounted it smile I've got it mounted so the shaft is on the port side when it's stowed.

Quote:
One thing to remember, make sure you mount it so that if it accidentally gets turned on while stowed, it doesn't whack the junk out of your hull.

Great point! But if I am reading the manual correctly, the Terrova has a feature that prevents it from being turned on unless it is fully deployed. I have turned on an older Powerdrive accidentally too many times to count, though!

One thing to remember, make sure you mount it so that if it accidentally gets turned on while stowed, it doesn't whack the junk out of your hull. This has happened to me, props are expensive.

I was there, but it wasn't me. Rob says sorry by the way.

I whacked my transom mount prop with the outboard prop the other day on the river. Just barely got it luckily and didn't do much damage. Forgot to lift the T.M. before moving a short distance up stream.