• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Towing an Ice Castle

ERdeerhunter

It all depends on the weight of the fish house. If the total weight including what you are hauling in it is 3,000# and over, it will need brakes. Check the DOT HSOforum for more information on this.

I personally wouldn't tow a house without brakes. It saves on the vehicle brakes by having them, and is safer.

we got the same thing and i dont think we have brakes on it. if your under the 3,000 weight limit take a good look at what your towing it with and then make your decision. we pull ours with a 2500hd chevy so the extra brakes aren't as important as if you were pulling it with a half ton.

I find it odd that a dealer can "legally" sell something if it "needed" brakes and they sold it with out them.

If they are selling it to you but they say it needs brakes to be legal, then they shouldn't allow it off their lot until it is legal.

If you got in an accident on the way home from the dealer with the trailer having no brakes when DOT law woudl require them that dealer would have their a$$ in a sling (lawsuit).

The previous responses are correct with the UNDER 3000# rule.

My 18" beaver tail flatbed trailer weighs 2,500# empty and it has electric brakes. I have tried it without the electric brakes. Trut me you should have electric brakes over 200# legal or not. You do not want to be liable for killing a family of four that pulled out in front of you! Winter time is a challenge with snow and ice on the road , your trailer will handle so much better with a set of electric brakes.

i doubt my 8X16 weights more than 3,000lbs. and i dont ever have my 4wheeler or anyting inside it just auger and rods.

It depends on what weight the trailer is licenced for. If the gross weight is 2750 but it is licenced for over 3000 lbs. you are required to have brakes.

Originally Posted By: Tyler23
i doubt my 8X16 weights more than 3,000lbs. and i dont ever have my 4wheeler or anyting inside it just auger and rods.

It depends on what weight the trailer is licenced for. If the gross weight is 2750 but it is licenced for over 3000 lbs. you are required to have brakes.

Pretty much right there. It is all about the GVW, not the actual weight of the fish house. Also the reason that they sold them without brakes was because before the fish houses required a license it was never an issue.