• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Red northern fillets

Jethro80

I just finished cleaning my fruits of my labor this weekend and I had come to find out that one of the fish I cleaned had red fillets.

Is this common or should I scrap this one?

*Note* This fish did swallow a hook but there wasn't any blood visible at the time it was pulled out of the water

Shane,

Might be heading to the Croix this afternoon. Any good new out there?

I don't have any Doug. Been so busy with leagues and tourneys this year, I haven't been on the river since early Jan. frown

Go to the Croix forum, there's lots being posted down there.

Red all the way through, or just red on the exterior of one side? Many times I've seen pike, as well as catfish, with a reddish fat layer on the skin side of the fillet. Some refer to this as a "mud-line" I believe. It's seems to be an anatomic extension of the lateral line running deeper into the flesh of some species of fish.

With cats it's a good idea to remove this "outer" red layer as it tends to make the meat taste a little off. I'd recommend doing the same with the pike, if indeed it is just on the outer portion of the fillets.

If they're actually red all throughout the fillet I might have some second thoughts about eating them. Not too sure why this would happen, but we know it's not a Tuna so it probably shouldn't look like one - ya' know what I mean.