• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New boat

Slip-bob

Hey all, I just took delivery of my new to me 1880 Skeeter. I have a couple questions I was hoping you could help me with.

1) The plug is on the outside of the boat and I normally removed the plug on my old boat everytime I was done using it. This boat has automatic bilges so is there any advantage to removing it?

2) The trolling motor batteries are a few years old according to the original owner. Should I just replace these or wait to see if they are still good? If I should replace them, what is the right battery for me?

3) What size and type of anchor should I get? I anchor a lot and hate it when I slip. There was a post a while back about a shock absorber that helped the anchor hold but I cannot find it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

i would take the auto bilges out and put ones that go off a switch IMO. take the batteries down to like napa or something and they will test them and tell you if there good or bad. inerstate makes some good batteris IMO

I love the auto bilges in my boat. I still remove the plug at times, especially when I'm going to be on a different lake the next time out, which is a good practice to help stop the spread of exotic species.

I'd test the batteries before you replace them. Make sure they're charged, then have them load tested at a battery store or auto parts store.

if has 2 bilges in it one might set lower than the other

i have a manual one and an auto one thats just the way the boat came

as far as batteries if its 24 volt be sure they BOTH are good

or it wont last long i personally would just put 2 new ones in then you know where you are at i use interstate myself but if those wal-mart are good and save a buck or 2 try em there is only 3 manufactors of batterys so i'm probably paying a few bucks so kyle busch can race lol i also anchor alot

i use a water spike the trick is droping it right so it holds

i have a 20ft fiberglass boat it held on winnie in at least 2footers took me a couple time to get it to hold but it did the job bobber fishin walleyes in the big winds puts alot of fish in the boat

i also carry a one a freind made me its a plow disk on a

2inch stainless steel shaft it holds great to

i use that more in the back if i dont want to swing

you can buy a good battery tester for $20,its a great investment form vehical and marine batteries.

those work but its free to have it checked at napa and there tester puts cranking amps and everything where as your $20 tester only load tests it. if your close to a auto parts store i would see no need in buying one. i live out in the country a waze so i got a snap-on one that does everything but its more expensive

I always take my plug out when it gets loaded on the trailer, then I put it in the splash well. While I am pulling it is when I check the bunks and under it for weeds, When I get to the access, when removing the back straps off the boat is when that is my reminder to replace the plug, never have forgotted, knocking on wood.

I'd test the batteries first, although I'd anticipate getting new ones. I've had real good luck with Interstate batteries.

As far as anchor, I also use a waterspike. Make sure you put a heavy section of chain (5-6') directly to the spike. I have tried one, but a product called "drop-n-stay" looks like it would help in heavy waves / wind. Might be the "shock absorder" product you were referring to. Have read a few positive reviews. Good luck.

I always take my plug out when it gets loaded on the trailer, then I put it in the splash well. While I am pulling it is when I check the bunks and under it for weeds, When I get to the access, when removing the back straps off the boat is when that is my reminder to replace the plug, never have forgotted, knocking on wood.

That's what I do plus I keep an extra plug in a storage compartment in the boat just in case.

goose89, I checked out that Drop-n-Stay and it looks like it would work pretty good. Might have to invest in one this summer.

you need to drain ALL water from your boat everytime you leave the ramp. your auto bilge works on a float and will not do this. your plug must be pulled to be legal, and to avoid trying to explain that to a co i would leave it out till you get back to the ramp.

you will like the auto feature from many reasons. leave it in there

slipbob

what motor do you have?

any other questions let me know - got the same boat

Thanks for the reply guys! I bought a tester and it looks like the batteries are probably OK but I am going to replace them anyway. The only thing worse then the anchor slipping is the trolling motor dying on a good bite. Which brand do you guys suggest?

Draining the water to stop the exotics is the way I am going to go for sure. I looked at the bilges and it looks like there will still be a small amount of water left in the bottom after the auto shuts off.

The Drop-n-Stay is the product I was looking for. I called their number and talked with the guy and endup up ordering the light double version. I will let you all know how it works. He suggested the digger or Richter but also said with this product la 28lb navy anchor would be easily enough but heavier then the other two. Any opinions on this?

the one thing bout the water spike vs a navy anchor

is always easy to get it out of the water just back up if its stuck and its fairly light

and it kinda folds up so its easy to store in compartments

actually theres a pin in it it comes apart quick

it comes in a couple different sizes to i think i have the biggest one

and ya i agree on the new batteries nothing worse than losin the bite because of no boat control

i stuggled at first last summer going from 20yrs at the tiller

to a wheel boat but i'm getting it there

i have one spot we anchor at night and you hafta be right on the spot its not very big so in a big wind i dont like losing it once i get on it