Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blackdog1101

Northerns/Muskie in July?

13 posts in this topic

My brother & sister in law are coming to visit for a week a around the 4th of July. He wants to go fishing for northerns or muskie. I know Minnetonka is a good lake, but are there others I should consider within a reasonable drive of the metro? Maybe Mille Lacs? It's got to be a one day trip, so that sort of rules out places like Vermillion or Leech. I plan to hire a guide too if anyone has any recommendations. Thanks!

Blackdog,

Hi. The Brainerd area has some great lakes to offer for musky and pike. Mille Lacs. Lake Alexander. Cedar Lake. The river. Pretty easy to make a day trip up here from the cities. For some info, check out the pictures and text on my site on the fishing reports section, and let me know if I can help.

Whatever you do just remember the 4th of July is a zoo on those bigger lakes...

Hey BD,

i agree with Blue. but not just big but really anywhere. you are hiring a guide so that broadens choices. next is a place not over run by boats on that holliday week, big and small, but still be waters that can produce nice fish and have good numbers of them. there's only one place i know and it's in the metro area. that would be the St. Croix River above the high bridge (railroad) near the arcola sand bar. about where the apple river flows in. boats can't go up because of zebras and if they go down they can't go back, unless they are residents. as far as guides i don't know names for above but the guys at blue ribbon might be able to help or at least steer you to someone. the mississippi has some areas too but that would be iffy. besides it's beautiful on the Croix up that way. hope this helps.

I would look to the Alexandria Area with Brad Hoppe of musky Mayhem Tackle. Its alittle less than 2 hours from the cities and it has some great muskie waters to fish. Brad is a great guide and knows what he is doing!

i like to concentrate on deeper weedlines (10-15 feet) in the summer for bigger pike. so once you find a lake with good pike, that is where i would concentrate my efforts. i like very slowly trooling a shiner underneath a float for the deepweedline fish. you cover more area and catch more fish.

it is a european technique that most fish around minnesota have never seen, so it catches more, and many times bigger fish.

there is an english guy on youtube who has some ok videos on youtube showing you how to do it. i highly recommend that you use that technique this summer! good luck!

I would say hit up one of the guides mentioned. The Brainerd/Alex area has some great combo lakes.

Try lake Harriet in Minneapolis (permit needed) or lake Rebecca near Rockford. Both are trolling motor only lakes and should not be too crowded that week.

i thought they did away with the permits for the minneapolis lakes? or am I mistaken?

Carpman Jake, I only own a canoe, but that method sounds good for paddling. I'll give it a try.

I'll contact some of the guides mentioned here. I like the idea of the St. Croix. Gonna have to research that. Thanks for everyone's input, I appreciate it!

Carpman Jake, I only own a canoe, but that method sounds good for paddling. I'll give it a try.

I'll contact some of the guides mentioned here. I like the idea of the St. Croix. Gonna have to research that. Thanks for everyone's input, I appreciate it!

that will work. as long as you keep that shiner moving at a slow pace it should work

I am also pretty positive you don't need a permit to put in at the Minneapolis lakes. I've fished Nokomis several times and have stopped by Calhoun as well, and have never seen that requirement. I even checked the city HSOforum and couldn't find anything regarding that.

You don't need a permit to launch, only to park in the lot at Harriet. There is usually ample on-street parking even with a trailer around most of central metro lakes.

As far as Mille Lacs, July 4th might be a little early. If we get a warm spring go for it, but if not, it's going to be a dead sea. Tonka would be a great lake to hire a guide on and would give you a pretty good chance for action during that time

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Popular Now

• Thanks for the input guys.

I did try to look up stuff on line but wasn't convinced of anything there either.

I've been told the first pic IS honey mushrooms by a person who harvests them.

The closest thing I found for the second pic was a false truffle.  I was hoping they might be the real deal since I'm seeing them just poking out of the ground around the oaks.  They are pretty solid.

The third one does have gills, I believe, and develops into a flat cap if it can get to like its third day before the squirrels chomp them down.

I saw another new one last night growing on an old oak stump but didn't take a pic.

I agree - I don't eat if I don't know...

• That's a lot of hens Caddis - nice find!  I had three babies just starting last weekend in my woods, so I'm hoping to get some this weekend.  I've found hens through October by me (South of Metro), so we still have a full month of good shrooming ahead of us.

• Yep.  I think most people fall into that "rookie" category with mushrooms.  There are 1000's of them.  I think it's best to just learn a handful of the safe/choice shrooms and just admire the rest from a distance.  I had the same guess as Caddis, the 1st pic might be old Honey mushrooms, but they could be old Jack o lanterns too.  In other words - I have no idea!  The 2nd pick looks like an old gem studded puffball.  And the 3rd one I have no idea.  Generally, you need more info to get close to identifying them.  Examples:  Pic of underside to detemine if gills or pores; pic of cut shroom to see if they bruise a color or if it's solid/hollow inside; where it was growing (on wood or on ground, what type of tree etc.; any significant smell etc.  Every little piece of info helps to ID.  And even with all the info, there's a ton that simply fall into the "I don't know - don't eat it" category.

• On 8/9/2016 at 9:59 PM, monstermoose78 said:

I picked up this sign

image.jpeg

Lets try it like this.

image.thumb.jpeg.8224b090f90bf86e1e962663f47e18b4.jpeg

monstermoose78 likes this
    • Yah - great looking decoys!

MJ - I'm just letting you know I'm breaking into your house and stealing your spear rack.  And mount.

I found a rickety old 5 tine when I cleaned out the garage.  I might give it a try this season.

image.jpeg

• Thanks for the input guys. I did try to look up stuff on line but wasn't convinced of anything there either. I've been told the first pic IS honey mushrooms by a person who harvests them. The closest thing I found for the second pic was a false truffle.  I was hoping they might be the real deal since I'm seeing them just poking out of the ground around the oaks.  They are pretty solid. The third one does have gills, I believe, and develops into a flat cap if it can get to like its third day before the squirrels chomp them down. I saw another new one last night growing on an old oak stump but didn't take a pic. I agree - I don't eat if I don't know...
    • That's a lot of hens Caddis - nice find!  I had three babies just starting last weekend in my woods, so I'm hoping to get some this weekend.  I've found hens through October by me (South of Metro), so we still have a full month of good shrooming ahead of us.
    • Yep.  I think most people fall into that "rookie" category with mushrooms.  There are 1000's of them.  I think it's best to just learn a handful of the safe/choice shrooms and just admire the rest from a distance.  I had the same guess as Caddis, the 1st pic might be old Honey mushrooms, but they could be old Jack o lanterns too.  In other words - I have no idea!  The 2nd pick looks like an old gem studded puffball.  And the 3rd one I have no idea.  Generally, you need more info to get close to identifying them.  Examples:  Pic of underside to detemine if gills or pores; pic of cut shroom to see if they bruise a color or if it's solid/hollow inside; where it was growing (on wood or on ground, what type of tree etc.; any significant smell etc.  Every little piece of info helps to ID.  And even with all the info, there's a ton that simply fall into the "I don't know - don't eat it" category.
    • Lets try it like this.
    • Yah - great looking decoys! MJ - I'm just letting you know I'm breaking into your house and stealing your spear rack.  And mount. I found a rickety old 5 tine when I cleaned out the garage.  I might give it a try this season.
    • I can't identify any of those for sure, and certainly wouldn't recommend eating any of them.  The first pic might be some older honey mushrooms, but it's pretty tough to tell.  I've got about 8 mushrooms that I can positively id.  Beyond that, it's just not worth being wrong.  There are still some fresh hen of the woods mushrooms around the metro if you get out into some oak woods.  You can find them around the base of big mature oaks and they are pretty easy to identify.  Found about 20 on Wednesday.  Many were a little old, but was able to take 4 nice ones home.  Here's a pic of one that I left behind.
    • I'm putting it on my calendar.  Don't forget the Nord Lord trophy since it has a new home to go to. 
    • Detroit News breaks 143 year tradition, endorses Gary Johnson.   The endorsement is the first time in the paper’s 143-year history it has endorsed someone other than the Republican Party’s nominee. http://www.breitbart.com/news/detroit-news-breaks-tradition-endorses-libertarian-gary-johnson/  
    • Kind of like Trump did Monday night.
    • Gets on a bunch of talk shows. Jumps another 5 points in the polls.. This just ain't working the way it's supposed to...
  • Our Sponsors