• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Castle condensation/moisture?

tisosy11

I was wondering how well the ice castles hold out the elements. I've been in fishhouses that seem damp at the corners and seams of the insulation.

Do the ice castly fish houses stay insulated pretty good or can you feel moisture?

I am thinking about purchasing an ice castle but have heard some pos and negs.

I am also looking at purchasing an Ice Castle before next ice season. I took some time and went threw all the FM (and other sites) posts during the winter months from the last few years. I looked for anything that said wheelhouse or similar. There is some very good information out there that I have really learned from. I also have talked to quite a few folks at bars, restaurants, ice show, ect.

Thanks for starting this topic I will be monitoring.

Matt

Like stated above, you can do a search and find a lot of information. Ive got a 6.5 X 12 ice castle and love it! Is it the best/highest quality house out there? Nope, but it got me a lot more features that I wanted for a much lower price. A lot of the things inside the house are built cheap and if you go and look at some im sure you'll see what I mean. I dont think cheap is necesarily bad either, alot of the thing that are built cheap also mean they were build lighter which is nice for a fish house. I didnt need high class solid oak cabinets! Overall if you are looking for the strongest fish house with highly detailed work and you dont have to worry too much about price you would probably be better pleased looking at some of the other manufacturers and spending more $$$. Although I have seen some of the higher end Ice Castle stuff and some of them are very nice.

Yeah, I understand the whole you get what you pay for...but would like to here from owners. Does their house feel damp in the corners, is there any outside leakage.

Just curious...I hope to purchase a house sometime this spring if the deals right.

I think that alot of people get cuaght up on the "Ice Castle" name. They do a great job of marketing, and they deserve credit for that. I would recommend, however, that you take a look at some other manufacturers. I was looking at the websites the other day for Performance Engineering, Mille Lacs Customs, and even Distinct Builders (The Lodge). There's alot of really good stuff out there for pretty reasonable prices.

Oh and to answer your actual question, I have never been in a fish house that didn't have condensation problems. One would pobobly notice it more in some ice castles because of the paneling they use. It is cheap and it absorbs water... especially where the studs are because the wall is colder there, and on the seams because the water can "wick" into the paneling there. I'm no scientist but a fish house is a confined, wet, space that always seems to create condensation.

I have never noticed condensation in any of the ice castles that ice have been in. Doesn't mean that there wasn't any.....I usually look around the house that I am in I just haven't noticed that problem.

I have a 6.5' x 14' and have not seen a condensation problem yet. I keep a window cracked to relieve some of it, it also keeps the windows defogged. I purchased mine 1.5 years ago and have pulled it 450 miles round trip many times without any problems.

I agree with the ice Castle being a little cheaper, but it depends what you are looking for. Ice castle had the floor plan I wanted and for a great price. I looked at the Lodge, but would have paid 4 grand more. King Crow looked even cheaper and their floor plans didn't work for me.

I have an 8x18 Ice Castle and haven't had any problems in 5 years with any condensation, I don't care if it has cheap paneling, it's light and it looks just fine. My ice castle stays warm and comfortable and I've spent a lot of time in it. Like planning any big purchase, you should always shop around so you get just what you want. Use your own experiences and observations to steer your purchase and you likely won't go wrong.

we have a 8x18 and the only time we get ice build up in the corners is when it sits on the lake for a few weeks with out any use to warm it up. also some of the ice the builds up in the corners has alot to do with the auger throwing slush in there and feezing. i had some condensation in there once this year and that was when it was on the lake for 2 weeks without anyone in it when it was -30... for my needs i love that fish house. i can always upgrade the inside as i want but for now i just like the space, tv, warmth, and being able to cook a meal inside.

I installed a vent free heater in a former ice house. (the vent free heater is a good Back up when batteries fail in forced air furnace) I had TONS of condensation in that house and it was an ICE PRO. You need a vent and a way to move air around.